Ford Mustang Forums banner

bowed front frame rails

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  84Fobra 
#1 ·
I have a 91 coupe that I'm prepping for the install of Scott Rod panels but I noticed that each front frame rail bows out about a quarter inch on each side. The rails themselves have no structural damage and the drivability of the car is un affected. I'm worried that if I start tacking in my panels I won't get a good fit. What can be done to fix/straighten them??

#3 ·
Yes that's what I was wondering too. I have been to car shows and seen Fox mustangs that are cherry and they have bowed rails also. The car drives great and there are no issues but it is annoying to look at and could be a problem with installing the panels.

#4 ·
I have a '96 Cobra I'm building that has front end damage. I bought a v6 donor car for less than I would have paid for just the parts to fix the damage. Then I bought my '84 hatchback to have a place to put all the extra parts I'd have left over. The frame rails on both the '96 and the '84 are not parallel but look symmetrical. They bow out as they approach the core support. I'd say if you still have the original core support in your car with no damage then I'd feel pretty safe assuming this is by design. But that is an assumption. If there's no alignment issues with any other panels on the car that would indicate a problem then I'd go for it. Those panels are going to look awesome!

#5 ·
There was very minor damage on the original core but it looked like it was ever so slightly kinked from a jacking accident or something. Certainly not enough to cause the bowing of the rails to the extent they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.