Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know why my bov keeps blowing off my elbow directly after it?? i have tried different clamps/types of sleeves but to no avail. its going to get tuned on tuesday and i need any advice i can get. it happens pretty much every time i let off the throttle- just going around the block even as low as 30000 rpm. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds like the pipe coming off is the BOV---I agree with the last poster. BOV probably isn't working. I had to cut the spring on mine ALOT to get it to open at idle. You might want to hook up a little hand held vacuum pump and see if yours is opening at whatever vacuum you would see on decel. I set mine up to be just shy of opening at idle, that way when you let off you have a touch more vacuum and it opens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bov

thanks for the help, i still am struggling with the science involved woth the spring/shim situation, but i improvised and still got the car tuned today-check out stats on my newest post.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Generally when someone talks about shimming it is a way of increasing the spring pressure in the wastegate so you will create more boost.

If you wanted to lower the boost and didn't have any other springs and your car is on the dyno (happened to me) you can just cut some coils off the spring.

Same deal with the BOV--in order to get it open easier/with less vacuum, you need to cut the spring down.

It may not be your problem---but is definitely work checking regardless because the BOV is there to let the pressure off instead slamming back against the compressor wheel when you let off the gas/close the throttle blade. I was shocked at how much I had to cut my BOV spring in order to get it to open.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Even if the BOV was not functioning properly....you still should not be blowing off any pipes. Make sure all of your clamps are tightened down properly….and make sure you are using good quality t-bolt clamps. Do you have bead rolls or welds on the end of the pipes….and if so, are you sure your clamps are on the correct side of said rolls/welds? If all else fails, take some hairspray and apply it to the end of the pipes where the silicone couplers go. Don’t laugh….it works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts