Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good way to control timing with boost. Its a blow thru sbf . Currently I just have a msd 6al and msd 8981 box. I've read some people like the mallory 685 or the msd 6530. Whats the best setup for a budget? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yea, it sounds like you've got a reasonable setup now. I have the 6530 box and it may give you a few more options than you have now. It has programmable launch rev limits/retards, burnout rev limits, and a fully programmable timing curve that you setup on a laptop. It's more of an all-in-one box. You'll need to buy a separate map sensor for it, but a gm one is cheap. You can set it to match different types of map sensors so you don't have to get a certain one. I like how you can even tune in a start retard at the beginning of your curve if your starter has trouble cranking your engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt know I could use that box to pull timing. I couldn't really find any tips on it. How would you control timing with boost? Thanks

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I still don't know if that model has the boost reference for timing control under boost. from the instructions, it looks like you just control the curve based on RPM maybe so there is no retard for boost. The 6530 has a boost reference and control of the curve via laptop so you can plug up a boost reference line to it, then precisely map a timing curve. Seems a lot of people like that box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts