Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 HCI car with the On3 Kit and a 90 GT with the On3 Kit. Both perform great and I have had zero problems with the kit.

One of my friends just installed the On3 kit on his 92 HCI car and has boost creep above 4,700 rpms. We tried every spring in the kit, check for obstructions in the WG and even tried several different vac sources.

He ordered a new WG assuming his was bad. With the new WG installed it still has boost creep. We took his WG off and put it on my car and it works fine, no boost creep. Ran the car all the way to 6500 rpms and the WG holds perfectly. Took it off and put it back on his car and voila, instant boost creep above 4700 rpms.

Any ideas?

I have received several different suggestions including upgrading to a larger and much more expensive WG like a Tial or simply installing the second 44mm On3 WG in the exhaust crossover on the drivers side.

Not sure what to do at this point. With the 9 psi spring it begins to creep at 4700 and will go all the way to 15psi. I must be missing something..

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the stock on3 44mm wastegate located on the passenger side.
I will try to get a pic.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Placement and/or cheesy knockoff wastegates are usually the problem.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Install the second one. You already have it. One size wastegate doesn't always work in two different situations. One 44 should be good for damn any 302 combo. But you have two now, might as well use them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Exhaust housing and exhaust after the turbo will certainly affect boost creep. It could be that even if your turbos are identical, but you have a slightly more restrictive exhaust, that you will not see boost creep while your friend does.

Exhaust will always take the path of least resistance. Boost creep happens when the path of the WG is more restrictive than the turbine housing and exhaust beyond.

See if your friend is running a more efficient exhaust after the turbo, it could be the issue....but a good issue to have. Ultimately, a more free flowing exhaust will be a performance gain. Like others have said, either install the second WG or go bigger on the first.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
A 44 mm waste gate should be plenty for that setup.

Do the two cars have the placement in the exact same place?

Two 44's is way overkill.

The knockoff stuff is scary to begin with, spend the money on a Tial or Turbo Concepts 44 and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All 3 cars have the identical On3 Kit. All 3 are stock block 302's w HCI. All 3 have the same 44mm On3 WG. Only 1 car gets boost creep regardless of the WG spring. Creep always begins at 4700 rpms.

I guess we will install the second 44mm WG since we already have it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
From my experience mostly on high horspower hondaswe have to use twin gates. When using a 67mm or bigger turbo or if you have bad placement. Likeit was said earlier its gonna take path of least resistance which if its through the exhaust then it will overboost from not bleeding it off.. how long is your dumptube does it recirculate into exhaust?
Code:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dump tube from WG is about 3" and vents to the atmosphere. My friend installed the second wastegate and the boost creep went away.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
How do you determine/complain about knock off stuff when you run an On3 kit which I thought is made in China, master power turbos, etc....If I am wrong and the On3 kit is not made in China, then I apologize, however I am trying to differentiate between what is meant by knock and and not knock off stuff....
The original poster even has that in his signature, along with a Typhoon intake which is also knock off....
Please explain....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you determine/complain about knock off stuff when you run an On3 kit which I thought is made in China, master power turbos, etc....If I am wrong and the On3 kit is not made in China, then I apologize, however I am trying to differentiate between what is meant by knock and and not knock off stuff....
The original poster even has that in his signature, along with a Typhoon intake which is also knock off....
Please explain....
I am not sure who you are addressing.

If your comment was meant for me I need to clarify my post. I am not knocking "knock off" chinese products. You can see from my signature that I've aquired a lot of second hand knock off performance parts and have experienced some good and some poor results.

In regards to the On3 kit, I don't know where it is made, I assumed China. It performs great and the issue with the WG was the first problem I've experienced. Not bad for 3 installs. I had more problems with my Procharger and my Kenne Bell kit.

In regards to the Typhoon intakes from Professional Products. They are cheap, poor quality cast "knock off's" of the Edelbrock EFI intake. I paid $100 for mine and sold the spacer that came with it. All together I have $65 dollars in it. It works great for $65. Would I buy one new for $299? No way.

Now for my opinion on the Procomp heads. They are cheap, chinese "knock off's" of Edelbrock Victor heads. I found them on Craigslist for $425 or $450 (can't remember) with a new set of Trick Flow 1.6 RR and hardened Comp pushrods. I had no problems with the install and so far they are performing well. Once again I wouldn't buy them new but figure I have about $100 in them after I subtract $300 for RR and $50 for the pushrods. They are much lighter than the E'7s they replaced and probably good for a few more HP under boost.

I am making 345 rwhp and 385 tq at 4.6 psi on a 137k mile stock short block. The car went 12.7 on its first pass running out of gear at the 1,000 ft mark. I am going to turn up the boost until I break it or get to 11.50.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts