Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest for traction, I bought a Holley 3 port boost solenoid kit.

Now I'm rethinking how convenient it would be. I planned on doing dome pressure but watching the MAP for safety. I sort of thought I could use a small air tank with a regulator, because I want to run a 10-15 psi spring to set base pressureand I'm only going to max boost at 25 or so. I don't think I need that much pressure.

So is using the Holley OK, or are there good stand alone? I wanted to pull boost back until the tires hook and suspension loads and then let it fly, the exact amount depending on traction. The Holly would require use of my laptop to change boost, which is not terrible to do.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run the holley 7763 grid boost controller and it is very easy to use, just need to create a new file for each change
Tnx. I have the HP, so I guess this is not compatible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry, didn't know you had the HP
:smile2:
the HP ecu has the same boost controller built into it already. you just have to wire it and get the solenoids and CO2 bottle with gauges. It is a great controller. Not that hard to set up

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, didn't know you had the HP
:smile2:
the HP ecu has the same boost controller built into it already. you just have to wire it and get the solenoids and CO2 bottle with gauges. It is a great controller. Not that hard to set up
Do I have to use CO2 tanks? Can I just use an air tank I recharge from my compressor?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Do I have to use CO2 tanks? Can I just use an air tank I recharge from my compressor?
yes... doug vanstorm uses an air tank in his car

Reactions: TomR

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes... doug vanstorm uses an air tank in his car
Any idea how big the tank has to be? I would think not too big, right? All it has to do is bleed into the wastegate for a few seconds during a run? Maybe a one gallon tank?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
think his is a 10 gallon...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Higher pressure with CO2 so smaller tanks.
The best I can get pre-regulator on my air compressor is 175psi. So a 10 gal tank is about right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
co2 bottles are not that expensive, and don't cost that much to refill. you can go for weeks on a 5lb bottle. you do need to regulate it down to approx. 100lbs. an air tank could get down below that fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
we use 2.5lb bottle from the local liquor store at 20 bucks an exchange. we keep a spare in the trailer but we normally see 3 bottles a season

Reactions: TomR

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like CO2 is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts