Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at building a bolt in 4 point rollbar for my 95gt. Its going to see autocross and some opentrack duties but would like to be able to remove it to access the back seat. Theres a topic on corner-carvers about some bolt ins and look pretty easy.

Anybody done this?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Do you really want to build one? You can buy one from Autopower. IMHO one key compromise with a bolt-in is it can't be built so that it's as snug as possible to the roof of the car, or it won't actually be removable.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
So did these:

But seeing the pics of the incident with the blue car prompted me to make these reinforcements for mine:

Unfortunately this vintage of mustang lacks the pimp crossmember of the 05+, and even the MM rollbar mounts to the floor here, albeit with a larger pad. The 3 bolts in the center of this picture are where the holes are for the pads on the Autopower.

I profess no more scientific rigor than "that looks like it has to be better", but I did use heavier steel than the floor of the car is made of, and I specifically tied it into the upright portion for the rear seat. It also overlaps where the subframe connector runs under the body. The panel is bolted, obviously, but I also bonded it with adhesive that you can't see under the metal.

Looking straight down, facing the rear of the car on the drivers side:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
So did these:

[/QUOTE]

But seeing the pics of the incident with the blue car prompted me to make these reinforcements for mine:

Unfortunately this vintage of mustang lacks the pimp crossmember of the 05+, and even the MM rollbar mounts to the floor here, albeit with a larger pad. The 3 bolts in the center of this picture are where the holes are for the pads on the Autopower.

I profess no more scientific rigor than "that looks like it has to be better", but I did use heavier steel than the floor of the car is made of, and I specifically tied it into the upright portion for the rear seat. It also overlaps where the subframe connector runs under the body. The panel is bolted, obviously, but I also bonded it with adhesive that you can't see under the metal.

Looking straight down, facing the rear of the car on the drivers side:

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are going to be doing on track driving then get a custon 4 point roll bar and not a Auto Power or Kirk bar. They bolt to the floor which is only thin sheet metal.

If you were to weld in three steel plates about 1/8 -3/16 thick in the corner of the floor where these roll bars bolt to them they may actually work in a roll over.

I bought a Mustang tback in 1995 hat had a Auto Power 6 pt. roll cage installed in it. The cage was first bolted in and then 4 of the mounting points were welded to the floor and "TO THE ROCKERS"!

I never liked the cage, it didn't give me that much room and it didn't stiffen the car that much. I kept it because I never could decide to make the car a full on race car before I decided to sell it.

SCCA allows you to use as much as 144 sq. inches of steel plate per mounting point on their roll cages intended for road racing cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts