Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i think i might have blown a head gasket on the dyno yesterday. cooling system got so pressurized that the overflow overflowed! but i dont have any milky colored oil on the dipstick or oil fill cap. ive only blown a head gasket once before on my vortech set up and that time it was clear because there was the milky color. this time i dont see that so im confused. is it possible to blow a head gasket and not send coolant into the oil pan?

btw, im running a stock 86 long block with Felpro 9333pt1 gaskets and arp studs. i have a 5 pound spring in my wastegate but the gate stuck the other day and i hit over 16 lbs for a split second. i guess it would be possible to lift the head some but i dont know.

anyone out there have some more knowledge on this than i do? thanks

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
Yes very common, I think most of us have been there unfortunately.

I always use a tool that checks for exhaust gases in the coolant...that will tell you 100% if it's blown. I'm a knuckle head and bubbles never convince me cause I'm in denial HAHA

Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for your responses! looks like that boost spike did me in! well that and the fact that i wasnt 100% tuned. it was safe for the low boost setting i was suppose to have but not the spike

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Yes very common, I think most of us have been there unfortunately.

I always use a tool that checks for exhaust gases in the coolant...that will tell you 100% if it's blown. I'm a knuckle head and bubbles never convince me cause I'm in denial HAHA

Good luck man!
Where did you get this tool? I heard there's such a thing as test strips... but all the big parts stores had never heard of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts