Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the other thread here but it seemed more inclined towards the mod family.

Car runs really great and pulls clean all the way to 7,500rpm when boost is set at or below 20lbs. Last night with air temps being in the low 70's I turned the boost up to 26lbs and wanted to do some tuning to get ready for some track fun on Wed. Right away the car started breaking up when it exceeded 20+. I kept bringing boost down 1/2 turn at a time (Hallman b/c) and it didn't clean back up till it was back down 19-20lbs. When it was missing out it would drop the air fuel from 11.8/12.2 to 10.2 or richer.

Heads are a Trick Flow High Port

Compression ratio is 9.5:1

The plugs I'm using are NGK BPR8ES gapped at .22, the ignition system consists of a MSD coil, MSD 6AL, Ford racing wires.

I run E-85 and have 105lb injectors. Fuel system is more then enough.

Any suggestions?
Am I a bone head for running this plug?
Should I try switching to the BR8ES the non projected tip?
Different plug all together?
More coil?

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
What coil is it? I have the MSD HVC 2 coil (the blue one)...Might have to tighten up the gap some or go to a fine wire non projected tip....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Should I try switching to the BR8ES the non projected tip?
Thanks
Yes. Keep in mind though that a recessed tip plug will typically "act" colder than a projected tip. This typically means you can run one step hotter than normal.

Get the projected tip plugs, gap them at .025 and take it from there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already run the BPR8ES and the gap is .22, the (P) means projected. I'm thinking if I switch to a stronger coil and iridium plugs it will most likely solve the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts