Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to tuning my On3 setup w/ a CSU blow-thru carb. Just trying to get a feel for how much timing you guys are running. Until I can get the carb roughly tuned and can afford dyno time, I plan on running 9-10psi on 93 octane. It will be locked. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I started with 17 or 18 in mine. I took it to the track and kept adding a degree every pass. I got up to 22 and it was still picking up mph. I didn't read any plugs so I don't know how close I was to detonation. Just start conservative and go from there. If you have a spot where you can run it and then check the plugs that would be the best way.
PS- my car ran hot with the timing locked. You may need a way to pull timing if you have any temp issues. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started with 17 or 18 in mine. I took it to the track and kept adding a degree every pass. I got up to 22 and it was still picking up mph. I didn't read any plugs so I don't know how close I was to detonation. Just start conservative and go from there. If you have a spot where you can run it and then check the plugs that would be the best way.
PS- my car ran hot with the timing locked. You may need a way to pull timing if you have any temp issues. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the input. I realize every setup will be different. I will eventually be getting a MSD distributor and boost timing retard, but I think ill lock it for the time being(still using the efi dizzy, locked w/ msd 6al). I drove it N/A with the timing locked, and today tuning the off boost drivabilty and heat hasn't been an issue so far. I'm thinking of starting at 18* and going up from there. Ive seen other similar setups and boost #'s similar to mine locked out at 26*

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
you will be able to run 22-24 degrees with that boost and the dist locked out..

after you get the BTM you will be able to lock the dist around 32-34 degrees and it will run much better down low.. then you can set the dial to pull 1-2 degrees per psi..

with my buddys old blow thru setup (csu) we ran 11 psi with 28 degrees timming on 93 octane and had the dist locked at 34.. it was pulling .5 with every pound of boost..

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I did pretty much the same as every one else. Started with 20 locked and the went to 36 locked and pull I believe 1.2-1.4 per pound of boost. At 10-12 psi I am right at 20 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts