Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
blow-by??? what is this stuff outa my catch can??? compression results!!

hello all. well this weekend we had great weather so i took the car out. i noticed that on a 4th gear pull i looked in the rear-view mirror and noticed some white/grey smoke on a WOT 4th gear pull but it only started to smoke on DECEL. would this be blow-by???? or maybe turbo seal going bad. its the Chinese junk turbo that on3 selling on there kit.

any info would be great??

so when i got home i drained my catch can and found i bunch of fluid in there i bet it was about 3/4 of the way full. so maybe this is why it smoked a little because catch can was almost full (pix below)

also i was told that if it was blow-by then i should remove filter (circled) on top of catch can and run a tube into pletum port(circled). where the stock tube used to go to the drivers side valve cover. not sure on this as well (pix below)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Your headgasket might be blow or going out. Is motor burning coolent??

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the exact same issue. First I noticed a decent amount of smoke coming out of my catch can breather at idle. I drained it one day and the fluid looked just like yours. Less than a week later on a WOT throttle pull I blew a headgasket. I also wasn't losing a noticable amount of coolant.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it was soking at idle too outa of the breather. well it deff looks like its a head gasket how can i tell which one. or should i replace both. or should i just wait untill it goes??

·
Registered
159 Posts
A leakdown or compression test may tell you which gasket is going bad but you definately want to change them both at the same time especially if your still running on your original ones. If you keep your foot out of the throttle it may last for a while but its probably best to run the compression and or leakdown test, confirm your problem, then tear it down. This will save you the cost of a tow bill when it blows and the risk of getting water in the bearings which could create a whole other problem.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Looks like fuel, probably smells like it too - a little moisture is expected from the open filter. When my car was turbo it used to smoke quite a bit under boost, didn't have a catch can though...just ran a long hose to the back of the car. If it doesn't over heat, lose coolant, or have a milkshake I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure that your rings are just well "broken in" all cars have blow by - boosted cars are just that much worse. :) You should do a compression/leak down test regardless.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hello guys i just wanted to thank you all for helping me out. today i got a compression tester. never used one before. any pointers?? or write-ups anywhere??

im assuming i disconnect all coils then remove 1st plug and install tester. then crank motor over few times then look at gauge what is the ideal range each cylinder should be?

thanks again brett

also i checked coolant level and its right at the line where i filled it year last when i installed the turbo. and i have never had a issue with over heating. im also gonna change oil this weekend to see if theres any milkyness

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just emptied my catch can this morning after seeing your post and mine looks worse than yours . I think its condensation. I live in Houston and the humidity is really high.
Here is a pic of what came out of my catch can

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
^ I would imagine some condensation will build up in these cathcans as they never really get hot to burn off moisture. Just a thought

The original poster has some coolant issues it appears.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hello guys i just wanted to thank you all for helping me out. today i got a compression tester. never used one before. any pointers?? or write-ups anywhere??

im assuming i disconnect all coils then remove 1st plug and install tester. then crank motor over few times then look at gauge what is the ideal range each cylinder should be?

thanks again brett

also i checked coolant level and its right at the line where i filled it year last when i installed the turbo. and i have never had a issue with over heating. im also gonna change oil this weekend to see if theres any milkyness
I remove all the plugs so the motor is easier to turn by hand

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hello all, today i did a comp. test and here are the results:

from what i get from the readings. looks like my rings are shot. because we added oil to the lowest reading and it jumped up 15psi. today we drove it for about 100 miles and had zero issues i also turned the boost back down to 7-8 psi. looks like the internals are seeing there final days.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Was the motor warm when you did the compression test? If not your readings will be much lower.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That is what the crap in my catch can looks like. Water and oil. The water in mine is from condensation. The oil is from.... well we know that one. I changed my oil and everything is good to go. Car runs like a freight train at 11 lbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts