Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have an 89 LX that I put 95 Cobra brakes on 2 weeks ago and I was wondering about bleeding the brakes. Should I use the 89 system which is right rear, left front, left rear, and then right front or should I use the 95 system which is do the front and then the rear or vice versa. I've got the 93 Cobra MC with the 3-2 port conversion from Maximum Motorsports and of course 95 Cobra front and rear calipers. I'm really wondering about this since I must still have air in my rear brakes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This applies to any car.

You bleed the brake farthest away from the master cylinder 1st.

Allen

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I always thought but in my Chiltons book for 87-93 Mustang it says to do the right rear first then the left front, left rear and right front. The book for my 93 Ranger has a similar pattern as well (maybe even the same pattern, I don't remember it).

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
On ebay, I bought some stupid NAPA book that tells the order of bleeding brakes on all cars (up to some year). It's not always farthest to closest. Still, I suggest to do farthest to closest.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
stangPlus2Birds said:
On ebay, I bought some stupid NAPA book that tells the order of bleeding brakes on all cars (up to some year). It's not always farthest to closest. Still, I suggest to do farthest to closest.
There are 2 types of braking setups you can use for a mastercylinder. Most all the modern ones are divided Front to Rear. While some of the older systems were divided diagonally, thus the needed for a different bleeding order.

For the mustang, farthest to closest.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Matt90GT said:
There are 2 types of braking setups you can use for a mastercylinder. Most all the modern ones are divided Front to Rear. While some of the older systems were divided diagonally, thus the needed for a different bleeding order.
I know that. Don't forget, I'm a MAJOR GM leg humper! :) GM is big on diagonal brakes. Also, GM is big on using 2 independent brake lines to the rear (even before 4 output channel ABS).

I think the NAPA book even says the brake layout. Some bleeding orders were just bizarre! I think that some even had the front brakes listed first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts