Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the GT40P has a unique exh bolt pattern, correct? I tried to email Brian at BG, but haven't got an answer about how to go about this. I assume the headers would have to be sent back for new flanges to be welded on to fit the P's?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Call him. That is the fastest way to get ahold of him. He told me he gets tons of emails and just to call with any questions.
Its not the bolt pattern thats unique to p heads, its the plug angle. They come out straighter than stock ones which have more of an angle. Basically the primaries would have to come out more off other header flange before making any bends to clear the plugs.
Im sure Brian could make you a kit to fit but it might be at a custom price instead of the off the shelf price. Doesnt hurt to ask though.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I believe the GT40P has a unique exh bolt pattern, correct? I tried to email Brian at BG, but haven't got an answer about how to go about this. I assume the headers would have to be sent back for new flanges to be welded on to fit the P's?
no the are they same as any other small block ford head..

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have GT40P's. The problem is in the spark plug placement and angle. To get at them to change the plugs is a bitch.. The bolt patten is not changed.

If you have the heads and hot side, just mock it up and see if you can get to all the plugs. I used the Ford Racing Headers in my old N/A set up and they were still a pain to get to the plugs. I have to use a plug socket and a wrench on almost all of them.

I am getting ready to install a turbo. but that motor will have AFR 185's.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'll give him a call then to ask him about this. I could always upgrade the heads, but money ain't cheap :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have some good info for you. I went from mac headers on my first turbo setup to B&G with my P heads and I eventually ditched those and made a new kit last winter out of ford racing headers which provide WAY more clearance. I would not recommend the B&G P head combo. I had to have some 90 degree plug boots and also had to ding the primary tubes in two spots for them to JUST work. Then I had to make a customer socket to get plugs out of a few locations. One spot was pretty much impossible to take out with the headers on. Plug wire sleeves were also a necessity, but then again I will never not have them with a turbo setup ever again.

You can ask him to make you a custom set but even if he will I'm sure the cost will increase. If you look at the ford racing headers for instance and see how much more complex the bends have to be you can see why he doesn't make his standard headers that way.

p.s. Thought I'd mention that the open wastegate setup and the fact that I had some pretty bad boost creep with the B&G headers were also huge reasons I got rid of them. Oh and I don't like v-bands very much. BUT Brian is a great guy and I'm sure would build you anything you want for a price.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
P heads may be easier on a turbo setup. Normal ford shorties fit both P and regular heads fine. Running Ps on my setup. Some where I have a picture of P versus E7 with flippped headers. I think it may have been in the now-defunct corral gallery
Erich

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had a on3 turbo kit mocked up on a fox with p head's fit good, lot's of plug room, more then the bbk longtubes I had before there used to be good pic's in this section but usually turbo headers give you more clearence with p head's.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have some good info for you. I went from mac headers on my first turbo setup to B&G with my P heads and I eventually ditched those and made a new kit last winter out of ford racing headers which provide WAY more clearance. I would not recommend the B&G P head combo. I had to have some 90 degree plug boots and also had to ding the primary tubes in two spots for them to JUST work. Then I had to make a customer socket to get plugs out of a few locations. One spot was pretty much impossible to take out with the headers on. Plug wire sleeves were also a necessity, but then again I will never not have them with a turbo setup ever again.

You can ask him to make you a custom set but even if he will I'm sure the cost will increase. If you look at the ford racing headers for instance and see how much more complex the bends have to be you can see why he doesn't make his standard headers that way.

p.s. Thought I'd mention that the open wastegate setup and the fact that I had some pretty bad boost creep with the B&G headers were also huge reasons I got rid of them. Oh and I don't like v-bands very much. BUT Brian is a great guy and I'm sure would build you anything you want for a price.

Hey rio, got any pics of your build? What do u use instead of vbands?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey rio, got any pics of your build? What do u use instead of vbands?
I have a few pics I can send you but my camera broke and I wasn't as interested in taking as many pictures this time around. I have some though at home. Send me you email address.

I purchased 3 bolts (1/2" think) flanges on ebay and use remflex gaskets with stainless bolts and lock washers. Guarenteed to NEVER leak.

·
Registered
557 Posts

This^^^. I have gt40p heads with B&G headers and it is a pain in the ass to do the passenger side plugs. The driverside is cake but I have to pull the passenger header off everytime I do plugs. It sucks man.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This^^^. I have gt40p heads with B&G headers and it is a pain in the ass to do the passenger side plugs. The driverside is cake but I have to pull the passenger header off everytime I do plugs. It sucks man.
Well the drivers side still isn't as easy as it COULD be....Like I mentioned above you can take them out without taking the header off if you ding the primaries and have a special socket or use short spark plugs. I just love the clearance I have now though :)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'm going to try it and see, keeping in mind what Rio has said. Guess I need to look into short plugs too. I've just waited so long to put this BG kit on, I may rather put up with some inconvenience instead of getting/making another kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts