Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and jeff "ponydown" were modifying my turbo kit to fit my 393 and pt88 and had to extend the crossover pipe and cant belive what we found. this is a 3yr old quick time kit and the last set of passes it ran were in the high 9"s.
the flex coupler is so blown out you can barely even see thru it and there was a large wad of wire mesh that fell out. i have no idea how this didnt get sucked into the turbo and wreck everything but i sure am lucky. if i would have ran my brand new turbo and sucked that wire up it would have ruined everything! check out the pics and beware there has to be others out there!!!!!!!!!!

looks normal here

not so much here

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Holy crap. FWIW, I've seen some custom one-off kits, and they don't use that flex coupler at all.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Always use and insist whoever does your work uses lined flex couplers with inner sleeve.
They cost 2 to 3 times as much and are worth every penny.

They are very good to have to prevent cracking but you MUST use the expensive ones.

Treadstone Performance sells them if ya'll havent put a cheap one back on there again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
wowza that would have deff hurt your feelings a little sucking that thing through your new turbo good thing you found it before it was back together and i'll deff have to keep that in mind not to use that style

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
holy smokes!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That's crazy good thing you found that and fixed it be4 you put it back togeather

·
Registered
84 Posts
all flex couplers are just a cheap alternative to properly fitting a turbo kit

lol

Google search thermal expansion. If you hard pipe merge two cylinder banks and then actually drive your car you will notice one of the pipes will remove its self very promptly. Those couplers weren't designed for the egts in a pre turbo crossover. The lined ones fair much better.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I don't have one and my kit is close to 5 years old, I like them and see the reasoning but my turbo kit builder said they fail to much and then I was a turbo noob so I just said OK.

I haven't had one issue, so I can't complain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't have one and my kit is close to 5 years old, I like them and see the reasoning but my turbo kit builder said they fail to much and then I was a turbo noob so I just said OK.

I haven't had one issue, so I can't complain.

Mild steel or stainless? I should have clarified that mild is much more forgiving and stainless is a lot harder and more prone to cracking. No matter what your kit is built out of it will eventually crack. Even factory turbo cars with super heavy cast manifolds will develop cracks. If they're driven that is.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
It's not that stainless is harder, its because it expands about twice as much as mild.

Flex coupler or some kind of slip joint is always a good idea to relieve stresses in the system for sure. You dont have to have one, but they are good insurance and not just band aid to a poorly fab'd kit.

Corky Bell even recommends wallowing out the header bolt holes on the far ends to allow the header flange to expand some.

·
Registered
623 Posts
had the same thing happen to me on my quicktime kit after only racing it for one season. Good thing i caught it and welded on a new one from racepart solutions.
Ty

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
had this happen to me. had to get my turbo rebuilt.

They make a superior "flex" coupler. Looks kinda like a flexible straw :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts