Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Octane requirement???

I was curious if there would be any benefit to some type of unleaded race gas or octane booster at my HP level for the track?
It's 9.6-1 & around 300rwhp.
The passes listed were on 93 oct Texaco

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always run 93 octane and an octane booster when running N20 but a friend of mine bought some fuel at the track that was 100+ octane( I dont' remember the number) for his fuel injected 86 stang that runs low 12's. His car ran like a fat man to the outhouse. It started out quick but as soon as it worked it in the system it was nothing but spit and sputter for the rest of the afternoon. Maybe he had a bad experience but I know it wasn't worth the price for as much trouble as he had.

Just my 2 cents, even though I always here I have no sense or cents one of the two.

Rod

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
If you dont NEED to run higher octane. Dont run it.

You will go slower. Stick with 93 octane with normal to mildly modified engines with compression under 9.5:1

You dont gain HP by raising the octane rating by itself.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's just it, I'm thinking I may be at the edge of where a little more octane may benefit me, there is a BTU per pound difference in some fuels as well. I'm not one to put snake oil in my car, I was just curious.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
If your not detonating now, I would say your OK. How do your plugs look after a WOT blast?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No evidence of detonation.

I used to race circle track & had an experience with a stock class car that really liked using 105 race gas instead of 93octane unleaded. It was a class legal flatop piston stock cam engine & the difference was very noticable. The plugs had always looked good, no audible detonation, but it picked up .3 seconds a lap.
I don't know if it was octane improvement or more BTU per pound, but it was much stronger coming out of the turns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts