Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Renegade dual brackets on my 93 with a Si-trim. What's the best way to set the tension on the blower belt. I know I can just crank down, but is there a proper way to set the tension to avoided unneeded stress on the crank?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Best I've heard is setting the tension based on type of noise when you pluck the belt. I'm like you though, there should be a better way.

Interestingly enough, I've been studying the blower braces for this exact reason.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Buy yourself an inexpensive belt tension gauge - I bought a Krikit for less than $20:

Then datalog your passes until you find out how much tension you need to get rid of belt slip. Personally, I wasn't comfortable with the amount of tension I needed with my manual tensioner, so I built a spring tensioner setup - my required belt tension dropped from 180 lbs to 100 lbs. Here's the tensioner I built on the dyno:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Don't let the "professional" tell you large supercharger crank pulley and belt tension don't affect the crankshaft and bearings. At least on a standard mild application and kit.
I would suggest proper alignment, even/flat belt contact, traction pulley features, bracing, and large tensioner pulley. This also includes proper belt wrap on the DriveR and DriveN pulleys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts