Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I use a 5# sledge... No cutting required. x2 on taking your time and being careful

·
Registered
102 Posts
heard that u are supposed to moderately heat up lip (using a heat gun) in order 2 keep paint pliable so that it does not chip off. supposedly need 2 do this using bat, pipe or specialty tool. is this necessary?

·
Registered
39 Posts
heard that u are supposed to moderately heat up lip (using a heat gun) in order 2 keep paint pliable so that it does not chip off. supposedly need 2 do this using bat, pipe or specialty tool. is this necessary?
I heated mine and then used a WOODEN baseball bat and it came out great.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Do you keep the tire on when you roll it using the bat?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do you keep the tire on when you roll it using the bat?

Yea, you basically sandwich the bat between the tire and fender well, then roll the car fowards and backwards.

I used a fender rolling tool for my coupe, but on my old hatch, I used a wood bat. I started out with the smaller portion of the barrel, and gradualy used larger portions of the bat. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
First take a razor blade and score a line for the paint to make a clean break from next take a dead-blow hammer and go to town getting the lip where you want it. Also while you have the wheel off and a hammer in your hand may want to take a few whacks at the inner wheel house as well. When you get where you want take some fine sandpaper and lightly sand the inside of the lip where you had your scribe line so it is smooth. That is how i have done a couple of my cars. The bat works just go real real slow because a friend of mine was doing that and his brother's foot accidentally slipped off the clutch and the bat got wedged and bent the crap out of his back quarter lip. Either way take your time.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Take a heat gun or propane torch and heat the paint throughly almost so hot you can't touch it for long, then take a body hammer and tap it into submission, takes a while but you don't have to worry about cracking the paint. As far as the baseball bat idea, talk about a quick way to ruin a paintjob, keep the bat for hitting baseballs not rolling fenders. I can post a picture of what the PO of my hatch did with the bat method if you would like.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So, another words, if your dumb about it, you can screw it up with a bat. Do it slowly, and correctly, and the bat works fine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I used a eastwood rolling tool. I'll rent it to you if you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts