Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a turbo that will allow me to run respectable 1/8 and 1/4 mile times on my street car. I will not be running more than 10psi of boost. I need one that will spool up fairly quick. I need one with a T4 flange. I don't want to go any bigger than a 70mm. I just really can't figure out a size/ ar combo that will make boost quickly but not limit me on top end. This is what it will be running on:

stock block, pistons, rods, crank ( fresh build about 15k on it)
TFS stage 1 cam
Gt40p heads w/ TFS spring kit ( heads are fresh from machine shop)
gt40 intake
70mm TB
255 intank fuel pump
42lb injectors
SCT blow through maf

I'm sure some of you guys have tried different ones out. I don't have a HP goal. Like I said just want to run good ET's and don't want a bunch of turbo lag.

·
Registered
863 Posts
70mm with .68 exhaust housing

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yea, that's what a lot run...

·
Registered
154 Posts
The on3 ones are fine especially for the price $299. My buddy runs a bone stock motor with one and the first time out on 9 psi he ran 118mph. We have it at 14 psi now and his car has to be getting near 450-500 hp.

The masterpowers are fine too we have ran those without any issues as well and they make that size. Not sure if you can still get them.

If you have the money I would go with a precision they have basically every size you could want. You will get slightly better spoolup and maybe a bit more top end potential due to a better engineered design.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The on3 ones are fine especially for the price $299. My buddy runs a bone stock motor with one and the first time out on 9 psi he ran 118mph. We have it at 14 psi now and his car has to be getting near 450-500 hp.

The masterpowers are fine too we have ran those without any issues as well and they make that size. Not sure if you can still get them.

If you have the money I would go with a precision they have basically every size you could want. You will get slightly better spoolup and maybe a bit more top end potential due to a better engineered design.
I'm looking at precision or turbonetics but can't find that combo. I will just call on Monday. I have a on3 that the oil ring needs replacing but wanted something a little better quality

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'd suggest a turbonetics 62mm w a .81 AR. I ran one for years on a stockish 302 and trapped as high as 132.xx.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd suggest a turbonetics 62mm w a .81 AR. I ran one for years on a stockish 302 and trapped as high as 132.xx.
Did you have any trouble with spooling? I think that's what comes with the hellion kits, not 100% sure though

·
Registered
461 Posts
A 68 or 70 mm turbo isnt going to have much lag. Anything over will have some. Plus u want it to lag a little or else your street car and all its attire is just gonna spin.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
the turbonetics 62-1 is more than you would need for sure. .81 a/r on the turbine is also more than enough. your bottom end will be on a time limit either way you go though so planning for room to grow isnt a bad idea

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm new to turbos, been reading on them for a month or so but still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I would use a .81 housing if I had the choice, but apparently people have good luck with the .68 housings. Going with the smallest a/r as long as it doesnt fall off on the top end is usually the best bet. your on a stock 5.0 block and rotating assembly. with a turbo kit its not going to last for a long time unless you stay out of it alot. the stock 5.0 block is super weak and also the stock pistons and rods

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would use a .81 housing if I had the choice, but apparently people have good luck with the .68 housings. Going with the smallest a/r as long as it doesnt fall off on the top end is usually the best bet. your on a stock 5.0 block and rotating assembly. with a turbo kit its not going to last for a long time unless you stay out of it alot. the stock 5.0 block is super weak and also the stock pistons and rods
Even running a small amount of boost? I thought 10psi and under was pretty safe. But this is my first turbo so I wouldn't know just from reading!

·
Registered
461 Posts
The stock block is only meant to take about 450hp. That 450hp with no boost and 450hp with 10lb of boost doesnt matter. Now i have seen on here guys throwing 800 at it at times and after three years it cracked right down the middle.

I have a stock everything in my car. With a 67mm and probably gonna be making 450-500 to the wheels when im done in the the next few weeks so im in the same boat as you.

Some can handle more others just crack and die. Time will tell. Just be easy on the far right and left and you should be ok.

Traction is gonna be a issue anyways. So good luck with that one.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
the centrifugal type blowers are safer on the 5.0 because they make linear power and dont make full boost until high rpm. the turbos slap a ton of hp and torque down low and thats what kills stock bottom ends. hes right when saying 450hp is the same boost or n/a, but where that power is made is the difference. 450hp at 3000rpm is alot different that 450hp at 6000rpm in terms of the bottom end handling the power. Just keep good gas in it all the time, dont get happy with the spark timing, and hope it lasts awhile until your ready to upgrade

1 - 20 of 20 Posts