Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pick up a new used Foxbody with a pretty much stock 5.0. Still is a project car that will eventually will be my daily driver. I want around 350-400hp to the tires, on 93 pump gas, and it has to be reliable......something I can drive every day, rain or shine. I might do a cam swap, and put a good set of heads on it....but that's about all I want to do with the motor right now. This will be a daily driver street car, so low/mid range torque it more important to me that peak RPM HP.

What supercharger kits should I be looking it? How much boost will I need to run to get the HP that I'm looking for?

Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Since nobody has replied, I'll throw a few ideas out there. if you're set on a blower and want some easy power, easy maintenance, etc., you should probably look into a vortech/paxton or procharger kit on 10-12psi. I think that should get you around 400 but I can't say for sure. I'm more of a turbo guy or roots blower guy so I'm not as confident with centri blowers but I think that should get you in the right direction.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Explorer heads, explorer intake, Vortech V3 Sc supercharger intercooled along with the stock cam will work well for a daily. If you find a good deal on some aluminum AFR, Edelbrock, or TF heads then you could go that route too. Either way stick with the stock cam since you're not going max effort HP build and you get to keep a few bucks in your pocket as well as good vacuum and manners at idle.

·
4,305 Posts
When I had my Saleen it made around 370 at the wheels if I remember correctly. Have the dyno sheets at home somewhere. That was basically a stone stock engine with an S-trim making I think it was 10lbs. It had some 1.7 rockers, 42 lb injectors, pro-m, shorties, x-pipe w/cats, 2-chamber flowmaster catback, and tune by Murillo. I later bolted on some well worked over Dart Sr heads and saw no real gain in power. I later bolted on an old Saleen/Vortech intake and saw about 100 rwhp increase. No tune changes with did heads or intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I had my Saleen it made around 370 at the wheels if I remember correctly. Have the dyno sheets at home somewhere. That was basically a stone stock engine with an S-trim making I think it was 10lbs. It had some 1.7 rockers, 42 lb injectors, pro-m, shorties, x-pipe w/cats, 2-chamber flowmaster catback, and tune by Murillo. I later bolted on some well worked over Dart Sr heads and saw no real gain in power. I later bolted on an old Saleen/Vortech intake and saw about 100 rwhp increase. No tune changes with did heads or intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You saw no HP increase with a set of good flowing heads....but saw a 100hp gain from a different intake? That doesn't make much sense......does it?

·
4,305 Posts
You saw no HP increase with a set of good flowing heads....but saw a 100hp gain from a different intake? That doesn't make much sense......does it?
Well keep in mind this was all 13ish years ago and I was going from memory when I posted. The real point I was trying to show is a decent blower with just some minimal bolt ons will get you to your stated goal.

As far as why I gained next to nothing when bolting on the Dart Sr heads, I do see now that I searched through old emails that I had the car tuned again when the Darts were put on because someone else tuned it before and only guy I trust is Murillo. The whole reason I put the Dart Sr heads on is the car blew a head gasket with normal driving, due to a weak/bad fuel pump. Since I had the E7s off and I had the Darts Sr. sitting in my garage(I ran them on two prior cars, one with an R-trim that went 133 mph in the 1/4 then other with an 18lb S-trim that went best of 128 mph in 1/4). I swapped heads. I then took the car to Murillo and had his people swap the 4.10 gears to 3.31 gears, I had them replace the fuel pump, and I had him tune the car. I can't find the exact numbers but see references in emails where I stated it basically netted me no real power increase. But I am not sure you would see some measurable gain in power if you leave one of the biggest factory restrictions in place, which is the intakes and the very thing that feed those heads. You can only ram so much through a restriction.

I did find the scan of the dyno run with stock heads. Best run was 374.4 rwhp and 379.4 tq but I can't find any other scans of dyno sheets. I did find an email where I emailed the numbers post intake install and I was wrong about being 100, but good thing I at least prefixed it with "about" :) ... it was 447 rwhp / 420 tq and at the time I stated to my friend that I figured the intake would bring me to 400 rwhp and that I figured it would take a new tune from Murillo. So I was very surprised that not changing tune at all and bolting on the intake brought me to almost 450 rwhp.

I had a 2.85(I think that was the ratio) pulley to put on but never did since figured 450 is pushing it well enough since it was a daily driver at the time and I had a faster car for my toy.

Now that I looked at emails the combination was:

FMS wires, S-trim making 10lbs, Bassini X-pipe with cats, flowmasters with tailpipes made from Magnaflow pipes, Bassini shorties, 3 core radiator, Kirban fuel regulator, Pro-M 80mm, 65mm throttle body, 255 intank pump, Murillo dyno tune via custom chip, FMS driveshaft, 3.31 gears, and FMS 42lb injectors

·
Registered
23 Posts
kenne bell was the most "streetable" supercharged foxbody car that i drove, that i would consider well behaved. no surging no, bs constant tuning, plenty of power at all rpms. I have a procharged car, it has decent manners on the street, but you have to constantly #### with it, and i dont really consider that daily driver material. A DD, you get in turn the key and drive, no BS

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
I had alot of success with a stock Paxton Novi 1220 kit. 8-Rib and bypass are standard. The compressor is the same as a Vortech SCi. With a power pipe it made 6-7psi on a HCI intake 302 and pushed my 3100lb fox into the 10s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had alot of success with a stock Paxton Novi 1220 kit. 8-Rib and bypass are standard. The compressor is the same as a Vortech SCi. With a power pipe it made 6-7psi on a HCI intake 302 and pushed my 3100lb fox into the 10s.
Where's the best place to get a kit like that?

·
Registered
218 Posts
kenne bell was the most "streetable" supercharged foxbody car that i drove, that i would consider well behaved. no surging no, bs constant tuning, plenty of power at all rpms. I have a procharged car, it has decent manners on the street, but you have to constantly #### with it, and i dont really consider that daily driver material. A DD, you get in turn the key and drive, no BS
While I agree with you about the Kenne Bell supercharger I find it's almost a waste of time to recommend them to people since they're so hard to find these days. Most people that have them are holding on to them like myself. If I found a decent deal on a 2.1L Flowzilla I'd buy it instantly just to let it sit on the shelf for a future build that I haven't even thought of yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I agree with you about the Kenne Bell supercharger I find it's almost a waste of time to recommend them to people since they're so hard to find these days. Most people that have them are holding on to them like myself. If I found a decent deal on a 2.1L Flowzilla I'd buy it instantly just to let it sit on the shelf for a future build that I haven't even thought of yet.
I feel you, I have an older procharger model myself, different from the rest. I will keep it and sell the car without it, thats how happy i am. But i always look around for a KB. Even the older bbk instachargers to...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts