Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is a great turbo for a car that has a TFS top end kit and stock block and F cam .with all that I'm thinking the 67 may not be enough on the upper RPMS and I'm sure hooking up with such a fast spooling turbo will make it worse was thinking a there 70 or going up to there 76.So anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
How much power you wanting? What trans, gearing, etc?
I'd personally go on the smaller side of turbo size to keep it a fun street car. Too large and you won't have much fun unless you run a lot of stall.

ks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For now 373 gears might change them out 2 327s rear end is built with 31 spline axels mega bites 7 way adjustable shocks pretty much the weak points are stock low mile short block stock t5 for now that will get change 2 down the road if it breaks it will be even faster keeping a.c in car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it stil the stock displacement I feel 70mm works great. I run the base On3 70mm and it’s a blast. I thought about switching over to the precesion 7075 just because it’s a better quality unit but I feel it’s pretty close to where I want to be. The TFS top end kit on top of the stock bottom end will work well with any of the turbos you mentioned. Just depends on what your looking for. Spool quickly down low or pull like a freight train past 6k? I also hear that the ceramic ball bearing turbos compared to the journal spool quicker. I believe there are a lot of variables to make it spool and you’ll always wonder if it could be ”better” lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have similar engine set up with an On3 70mm properly tuned the car drives like any 12 sec NA car, accelerates like a 10 sec NA 408. Hard to tell it is not NA when ripping through the gears. It makes 11lbs on a 9 lb spring.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input ya that's why I asked the ? I feel if it was stock heads sure go the a 67 ball bearing .But since it's got good head flow then a the basic 70 might be the perfect size sure it may be a little slower.But the 70 mill might make it all around a blast I don't know if they offer that turbo in the ball bering I do think you can get a 72 like $600. So not sure if that size and price for a 0n 3 turbo is worth it but the 70 seems to be a great size if you have a top end kit and since I have a F cam again that should help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That sounds great TRX 250r.Is yours journal or ball bering?
It is the standard journal unit. I bought the car built so I can't claim the set up. What I do know it has a stock rod and crank fresh 306 with unknown pistons. Windsor Jr iron heads and cobra intake. 42lb injectors and cam unknown. Cam lopes at idle like between an E or F and with single exhaust it sounds decent. Sct 4 bank switch chip. Fuel pump in tank is not extremely loud and again unkown. Tremec 3550 and I am pretty sure 3.73 gears. I didn't get a chance to get it to the track but my butt dyno says high 6's in the 1/8th and high 10's in the 1/4. Then a few month's ago after getting a few things sorted, it split the stock fuel rail cross over behind the intake and caught fire. (I posted a short thread on that). You know the bug that bites you when you have funds to go faster.....I bought a dart block 331 from a guy on here near me and habe been saving to fix the damage to the car and make upgrades over winter. Probably should have just put it back to where it was since I had been out of the game for a long time because it was running great and was plenty quick for an occasional driver. Besides I have another fox to finish after it, set up for Auto X.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow great write up thanks for the info and sorry for bug that caught you .ya your set up sounds exactly what I'm hopeing to do I'm worried 42 pounds inj will be enough I have e85 on every street corner so thinking about selling my 42s and going with 60s as far as tuneing goes I will have to travel or just bite the bullet and go with a pro-m engine management that may help in long run to keep stock block firing good.if she blows then it's going dart and twins and will stop when I can not have a.c .But my hope is to just have a fun 10 street car .But yours sounds just the way I want it.Did you run e 85 not that you had 2 with that boost leval ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Personally I’d go 80lb for e85. I’m probably going to go 60 or 80 on pump gas with a stock block lol. The 42lb injectors were enough until I turned the boost up. Around 9-10 lbs it was fine after that they are working real hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it seems the the best street turbo in a budget is if you have stock motor or real close upgrade to the 67 ball bering. If you have a top end kit or close just get the journal bering get some 60 or 80 if runing E85 and save your cash for a new block because some day you will need it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i had a comp .68ar ball bearing billit wheel on a similar setup. it felt great and had a lot of room to grow

i see you are also in MN! i was running my set up on the pro m efi as well

1 - 20 of 126 Posts