Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to start gathering parts for my 8.8 build.
Car is currently sporting a 408w that puts out 620rwhp on a smallish shot of n2o.

I want the car for 85% street use, 10% strip and 5% road course.

I am looking at either the torsen TR2 or the Eaton Detroit tru trac both in a 31 spline version.

Looking for opinions and experiences with either unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking to start gathering parts for my 8.8 build.
Car is currently sporting a 408w that puts out 620rwhp on a smallish shot of n2o.

I want the car for 85% street use, 10% strip and 5% road course.

I am looking at either the torsen TR2 or the Eaton Detroit tru trac both in a 31 spline version.

Looking for opinions and experiences with either unit.
The torsen is excellent on the street and road course but won't last very long with the shock loading of drag racing. The eaton one should be able to handle drag racing better and is still great on the street and road course.

·
Registered
57 Posts
have always had really good luck with the Tru-trac, I have never used them in a drag racing setup though. Seems as if the the hardcore guys who track their cars, Auto X or road race have gone to lockers with a custom spring setup. I too am in the process figuring out what to go with this time around and Ron Sutton at Ron Sutton race technologies has me almost sold on a custom spring locker.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I contacted eaton. They recommended the tru trac. They did inform me they make a 33 spline version. This unit has 4 pinion gears in it compared to the three pinions in the 31 spline version. I feel pretty confident the 33 spline version will hold up to my power levels at the strip or track.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I contacted eaton. They recommended the tru trac. They did inform me they make a 33 spline version. This unit has 4 pinion gears in it compared to the three pinions in the 31 spline version. I feel pretty confident the 33 spline version will hold up to my power levels at the strip or track.
This is what I am putting in my car this winter with 9 inch ends on the housing. The axles and Tru Trac are beefy and look like they will handle everything I throw at it. I bought them for a drag car setup I was going to build and when I started to do the road racing thing, thought it would work well with that as well. It is a high quality piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts