Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best roots style blower? What all is required to make the installation easier. Also, is it much harder to tune a roots blower? I just want some more power to play around with.

Thanks,

Mony

·
Registered
806 Posts
this is like asking is coke or pepsi better. I would vote that the Kenne-bell is a better positive decplacement blower (not roots, but probably what your thinking of) It's a twin screw design and as such, doesn't generate as much heat when referenced to a specific boost level, creates more boost with less pulley, and requires less power to spin. There was a test in the newest MM&FF involving a Kenne-bell Autorotor vs. Eaton M114 blower (stock lightning blower)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thought they used the Eaton M90 in that MM&FF test? The Autorotor 3150 totally destroyed the Eaton in all aspects. Maybe the larger Eaton M114 might do a little better, but the Autorotor seems like it is the way to go, according to that MM&FF test.

Wish I could afford to beef up my bottom end after this headswap and slap on one of those Autorotor 3150's!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Personally, if I were building a custom one-off kit I would use the chromed whipplecharger 2300AX.

It is huge, meaning it can support lot's of airflow, Whipple Industries are easy to work with, it is the same efficient rotor design as the KB 2.0L and 1.5L blowers, but bigger than the less-efficient KB 2.2L blower. In chrome, it looks really nice. Way more efficient than the Eatons. Plus, whipple likes to sell them and list prices and dimensions on their web page.

Check out www.whipplesuperchargers.com for more info.

Here's a link to the available whipple supercharges

Here's a pic of it:

Here's the dimensions:

·
Registered
816 Posts
John, do you have any efficiency numbers of the 2300AX vs. the 2200? It looks like the case deminsions are vbery close.

·
Registered
56 Posts
creates more boost with less pulley, and requires less power to spin.
I always thought twin screws required more power than roots types. I know the screw set-ups are better b/c they actually have internal compression unlike the roots, but I thought that compression meant the roots took less power to spin.

·
Registered
806 Posts
your right, they did use the Eaton M90 on the saleen car vs. the Autorotor. But in the newest magazine, they used a lightning motor and the new Kenne bell bolt on kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Eaton M90a unit on my SC Mark VIII. Im making 450 hp with 8 psi.

I also have sixteen 24lb injectors, 7/8 inch fuel rails, two 80mm mass air meters, two throttle bodies, an a2w aftercooler, and two eec's running the whole show.

Very unique to say the least.

It has loads of low-end and pulls like a runaway train upstairs.

Im now running without a hood too. People almost crash trying to get a look as I pass them, its a riot.

·
Registered
696 Posts
ONEBADMK8 said:
I have the Eaton M90a unit on my SC Mark VIII. Im making 450 hp with 8 psi.

I also have sixteen 24lb injectors, 7/8 inch fuel rails, two 80mm mass air meters, two throttle bodies, an a2w aftercooler, and two eec's running the whole show.

Very unique to say the least.

It has loads of low-end and pulls like a runaway train upstairs.

Im now running without a hood too. People almost crash trying to get a look as I pass them, its a riot.

That is an AWESOME setup.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you very much. I appriciate that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mark8, that is awesome. Are you running two mass air meters? I saw a picture with what looked like two computers, how does that work, does each computer control 8 of the fuel injectors? Does each computer control one side or 1 injector per cyl? It's an interesting setup, who did the fabricating for the intake manifold? Are you running on stock heads?

·
Registered
62 Posts
clearwaterms said:
Mark8, that is awesome. Are you running two mass air meters? I saw a picture with what looked like two computers, how does that work, does each computer control 8 of the fuel injectors? Does each computer control one side or 1 injector per cyl? It's an interesting setup, who did the fabricating for the intake manifold? Are you running on stock heads?
The one comp controls one set of eight injectors, one 80mm maf, one throttle body and TPS and the other controls the other side.

The factory computer is retianed for all other duties.

So I have three computers all together.

·
Registered
806 Posts
OnebadMKVIII. Sorry to be such a pest... and probe, but... What type of computers are running the fuel system? Does the factory computer control ignition? I am really like the setup and think you have one very bad MKVIII. Also, do you contribute the 450 hp. to the dual intake setup? What else is done to the motor (stock internals, cams, crank?) This thing probably suprises quite a many people

·
Registered
100 Posts
since I don't have a charger, I wouldn't put too much on my oppinion but... If Saleen has that new 281-E charger available I would lean towards it...If not then I hear the KB is the way to go... However I'd lean towards a turbo kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
clearwaterms said:
OnebadMKVIII. Sorry to be such a pest... and probe, but... What type of computers are running the fuel system? Does the factory computer control ignition? I am really like the setup and think you have one very bad MKVIII. Also, do you contribute the 450 hp. to the dual intake setup? What else is done to the motor (stock internals, cams, crank?) This thing probably suprises quite a many people
No problem man, I love this stuff!

Remember this was a pre production prototype built back in 1993 by Watson Engineering as a special project for Ford Motor Company.

The engine has steel crank/rods, hand made one off intake manifold, forged 9.8:1 pistons, custom made shorty headers, ss valves, its completely done to the hilt.

The 3 computers are standard Ford 12A650 eec's.

This car was the pre production tester for the L setup and the 03 Cobra.

Heres the pic that Jeff Dunn himself from Ford Motorsport sent me after we recieved the car.

Heres the bizzare beltwrap for the SuperMark engine, which the 03 Cobra also uses. Our engine uses one belt for 9 wheels and the 03 Cobra has the blower wrap seperate from the accesories, however the re-location and placement of all the accesories on my car is now used exactly on the 03 Cobra.

Were going to be reverse engineering this intake over the Winter and we will be doing this same setup with one eec, maf and tb.

This is the car that will be getting this treatment next year.

This is "MARKZILLA"

The SuperMark will be getting a 9 1/2 inch 3000 stall speed PI converter along with some 4.10's and a smaller blower pulley!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts