Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride seems to enjoy crushing 8.8 carrier bearings under hard acceleration. The car originally had a stock 28-spline 8.8 housing and cover with 3.55 rear gears. The 1st time it occurred, I was climbing a mountain at close to full throttle - rear end started whining under all conditions. I installed a TA Performance girdle cover after replacing the bearings and not long after, I crushed another set of carrier bearings, indicated by the same whining. I eventually had a shop perform some work on my stock housing - straightened and welded the tubes, gusseted a few spots, upgraded to Superior Gear 31-spline axles, dropped down to 3.31 rear gears, and a Detroit Truetrac diff. Still running the TA Performance girdle cover. Is there anything else I can do to beef it up?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not judging or questioning, but have you dug into how the carrier bearing preload is being set? Could possibly be a setup issue.

Frank

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not judging or questioning, but have you dug into how the carrier bearing preload is being set? Could possibly be a setup issue.

Frank
Both events that were diagnosed with crushed bearings were in axles that were professionally built. Since going to a welded housing and 31-spline axles, the issue seems to have gone away. I think the housing was distorting under load prior to the welding and may have actually have been caused by misalignment of the tubes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about C-clips?

I've heard 9" bearing ends don't like side loading either. So, whats the best axle retention method that would still allow use of factory cobra brakes. (on a budget after all right?)

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
It isn't possible to use factory Mustang Cobra brakes with a floater. 9" axles aren't great for resisting side loads, but they are a huge improvement over the small bearings in an 8.8".

·
Registered
656 Posts
Floater I finished last year, not that it would have much if any impact on carrier bearings but does fix the axle bearing and flange flex issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Michael,

Did you check for interference between the gear cover fins and spare tire well at full bump travel? On the cars we've installed that cover on, we had to mill a lot off of the fins and hammer the spare tire well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Michael,

Did you check for interference between the gear cover fins and spare tire well at full bump travel? On the cars we've installed that cover on, we had to mill a lot off of the fins and hammer the spare tire well.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Jack - did you guys ever take any temp data on those covers vs a standard cover? And then after removing much of the fin depth on the drivers side to clear the tub?

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Michael,

No we haven't had a chance to. The problem is that it requires switching gear covers at the track on consecutive days which have very similar weather. No one wants to do that at the track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts