Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking to order a 347 kit with cast crank, most likely Scat. i know FordStrokers is common choice tho seems more than most. was looking at ADPerformance which seams significantly cheaper for similar parts but not sure what other people think of them. theres a million + 1 places to order from. any places you guys recommend over others?

is there a brand piston better to use than others? ill be wanting about 10:1 with 58cc heads. probably .040 over

when does the ARP rod bolt upgrade become important? ill be most liley staying 300-350hp N/A under 6k rpm. a SLIGHT chance of small amount of boost in the future, not much due to 10:1 compression

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
234 Posts
looking to order a 347 kit with cast crank, most likely Scat. i know FordStrokers is common choice tho seems more than most. was looking at ADPerformance which seams significantly cheaper for similar parts but not sure what other people think of them. theres a million + 1 places to order from. any places you guys recommend over others?

is there a brand position better to use than others? ill be wanting about 10:1 with 58cc heads. probably .040 over

when does the ARP rod bolt upgrade become important? ill be most liley staying 300-350hp N/A under 6k rpm. a SLIGHT chance of small amount of boost in the future, not much due to 10:1 compression
300-350 stick with a 302 the 347 is a waste of money at that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for my vehicle, i need more torque and 351w is out of question. so a 347 is next best thing with a set of AFR185 heads i already have and custom cam. idk what HP will actually be but its a guess. already have a 302 block that needs new bottom end.

·
Registered
528 Posts
for my vehicle, i need more torque and 351w is out of question. so a 347 is next best thing with a set of AFR185 heads i already have and custom cam. idk what HP will actually be but its a guess. already have a 302 block that needs new bottom end.
I ordered mine from ADperformance about 5 years ago. I heard something about Brian no longer being there so I didn’t know if they were still in business. Mark O’Neil commented just the other day that he turned the business over to his employees but that it’s hard to get a hold of them.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts

is there a brand position better to use than others? ill be wanting about 10:1 with 58cc heads. probably .040 over

Scat is the best choice (in my opinion) with cranks and rods....I use them myself. But (again in my opinion) Icon pistons are not the way to go. The weights and sizing are all over the where.

I use Autotec in this application, and I don't mind Wiseco....if I can get them. Even Mahle would be a better choice (pistons are great, company sucks), though they aren't dealer friendly and I do try to buy American when I can.

Also, AD seems to be really hard to a hold of these days. Brian hasn't been there in years.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
475 to 500 fwhp depending on C/R (flat top) and cam.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
1 week late. I just sold a Scat crank, Probe rod and piston deal with rings and bearings last week for $700. Was all new, been sitting on my shelf for years. Listen to Mark, he won’t steer you wrong

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Sorry for trying to help someone save money while achieving the goal. My bad.
Yeah....my old partner was like you. I was remodeling my house and he came by and spent an hour telling me how he would have done it. I hate that guy.

I quit going to car shows because I spent the day listening to a bunch of idiots that never built a car tell my kid how we should have done it.

Someone asks you a question, answer it. If people want your opinion, I found they'll ask. I do want to compliment you on your sanctimonious response, though. Well done!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
475-500 would be a juicy number to have but for my truck application i feel like a cam id get would be good amount lower. but it does make me feel more confident, so maybe like 400ish.

so Mark is with Vigilante? im sure that was brought up in one of my previous threads before, wish i can remember who is with which company. you need to fill out your sigs! at least Strokeme has FordStrokers on his sig.

so i see you have two different Villian kits, one with the normal 5.4" rod and the other with 5.325" rod. is there an advantage/disadvangtage of the shorter rod? or is it jsut to get more comp height for the oil ring pin issue?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
475-500 would be a juicy number to have but for my truck application i feel like a cam id get would be good amount lower. but it does make me feel more confident, so maybe like 400ish.

so Mark is with Vigilante? im sure that was brought up in one of my previous threads before, wish i can remember who is with which company. you need to fill out your sigs! at least Strokeme has FordStrokers on his sig.

so i see you have two different Villian kits, one with the normal 5.4" rod and the other with 5.325" rod. is there an advantage/disadvangtage of the shorter rod? or is it jsut to get more comp height for the oil ring pin issue?
There is no real disadvantage to either....but the 5.400 has become far more common. The 5.315 is still around, but the real reason for it was that, back when we started this stuff, the Ford trans-am rod was what was available. It was that or Crower Sportsman. So we bought the rights to the Trans Am rod from Ford. It had the advantage of not having the oil ring in the pin hole. That isn't a bad thing, but people kept leaving the oil rail supports out when they assembled. Ford guys have since gotten used to them and the issues went away.

I did my kid's car, with a head that flowed 252 @ .600 and 9.0:1 compression. I think it had an extreme energy cam. That motor made 410 fwhp. I'd make that decision based the fuel you want to run. But all round, the -14.2cc piston with the 58cc chamber and a .040 x 4.060 gasket will make right at 9.8:1 and would probably let you run 87 octane and still have a very decent amount of torque.

And I don't put anything in my sig because I don't want people thinking I'm only here to sell parts. I'm not. I'm here because the internet is the birthplace of crappy advice. Other people do that, but I'd rather have a modicum of credibility. Sometime people do buy stuff, but it's not because of my charming personality and incredible sales skills.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i guess ~9.5:1 would be safer for 87 gas at sea level when towing. using a 9333 gasket as a reference, bored .040 over. also not sure what CC the heads are actually going to be, they been resurfaced once and might need it again. was going to get a custom cam from Ed if he ever gets more blanks in, been waiting 2.5 months for a cam in my other truck.

ill probably be ordering a kit from you next week after a short trip im going on

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i guess ~9.5:1 would be safer for 87 gas at sea level when towing. using a 9333 gasket as a reference, bored .040 over. also not sure what CC the heads are actually going to be, they been resurfaced once and might need it again. was going to get a custom cam from Ed if he ever gets more blanks in, been waiting 2.5 months for a cam in my other truck.

ill probably be ordering a kit from you next week after a short trip im going on
Keeping it low is a good idea, particularly with altitude changes when towing. But figure that the aluminum heads are a functional drop in C/R of about a point, so figure 10.0:1 max. Having said that, Ed will give you a compression ratio to go with the cam grind. And It's not just Ed. Sometimes I think I should build a new plant to make cam cores. The only cam order I've filled this year was from Isky.

I know that the 9333 is the bomb here on this board.....but I hate cleaning them up when I pull the heads. That alone makes it worth it to me to get Cometics. That and once I pull them off, I can put them right back on.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Try looking at Chip White Performance for a 347 kit. I found them on eBay recently while again searching for good parts in a 347 kit. They have a long detailed page covering the parts and quality, plus themselves. I liked that they are under 110 miles from me, I may be able to use them for my block work also.

They use Wiseco pistons, the Scat crank and rods, and their kits are balanced, plus have a flexplate and a decent balancer.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts