Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a stock bottom end 302 with old school trickflow high ports and an RPM intake. I'll be running a cartech SS turbo kit with a 64mm Garret. Manual trans, 3:55 gears. Like i said in the title, its going to be a car to just have fun with on the street (most of the time), but i still want to make good power. What are your recommendations for some over the counter cams? I'd like to keep the driveability decent but don't mind a little rough idle.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm running a simple old Ford Racing E303

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Fcam and TFS 1 are good turbo cams.

Stock -4* w/1.7 is also a good set up for a turbo

·
Registered
360 Posts
On a car with stock heads, Is it better to spend the extra $300 on a custom cam or take that money and put it towards an aftermarket set of heads?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I would say heads. The cam in the 5.0 is actually pretty big by stock standards. I would upgrade heads LONG before cam on a stock 5.0. In fact I have a 94 Lightning and the cam is so anemic in that truck that the stock 5.0 cam is a great/cheap upgrade for these trucks. On top of that it pulls to 5400 with the 5.0 cam and stock GT40 heads/intake. Just my .02 though
Chris

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good question! I am getting ready to install TFS heads, t-moss ported GT40 & my B&G 70 mm kit and was wondering if I should stick with my stock cam or go with the f-cam?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm in similar situation as you are and I'm going to use the stock cam.
I just spoke with Brian & B&G (had another question for him) while I had him on the phone I asked him what would be the best OTC cam for my stock long block with my TFS heads, rockers, ported GT40 with 75mm TB. He chuckled and told me to save my $$ because my 11 lb kit on a bone stock engine will make 500hp already on the edge of spliting my block in two. (let alone with the addition of the new top end)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I just spoke with Brian & B&G (had another question for him) while I had him on the phone I asked him what would be the best OTC cam for my stock long block with my TFS heads, rockers, ported GT40 with 75mm TB. He chuckled and told me to save my $$ because my 11 lb kit on a bone stock engine will make 500hp already on the edge of spliting my block in two. (let alone with the addition of the new top end)
Thats what some people don't understand. They go crazy building up a stock block 302 to only end up getting 480hp. If I wanted to do that I could do that with a completely stock motor and not risk any high $$$ parts. Yeah, it takes less boost, yeah ohhh cool aluminum heads, but it isn't really necessary when your doing something so basic with a turbo setup.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thats what some people don't understand. They go crazy building up a stock block 302 to only end up getting 480hp. If I wanted to do that I could do that with a completely stock motor and not risk any high $$$ parts. Yeah, it takes less boost, yeah ohhh cool aluminum heads, but it isn't really necessary when your doing something so basic with a turbo setup.
So what's wrong with doing it that way? Less boost to get the power is great and having good heads is smart IMO.

When are you ever truly happy with how fast the car is? So, having the heads leaves a lot of room for future improvements.

FWIW I bought my shortblock assembled and ready to go.

All of this is moot if you're one of those typical "DYNO RACERS" - you know the type - they want X amount of horsepower on a sheet of paper so they can tape it to their windows and impress people.

:blam:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

IMHO, while leaving the stock shortblock as-is seems to be the most logical idea….leaving the stock upper end as-is is not. Yes, you can make block splitting horsepower with 14+psi with the stock upper end in place….but you are far more prone to lifting heads, blowing out gaskets etc., and with that extra boost you will likely be stressing out the block even more. Let’s not forget all of the extra timing you can run, the 80lbs of extra mass you remove by switching to aluminum.

Is it necessary to upgrade the upper end? No….not entirely, but IMHO it’s the best way to go.

·
4,305 Posts
Stock -4* w/1.7 is also a good set up for a turbo
Heck this used to be one of the standard mods even on NA cars many years ago.

IMHO it is not worth doing a cam with a stock block unless someone just likes having a more radical sounding vehicle and possibly some added driveability issues. I certainly would not spend a ton of money on a cam with a stock block if I just had to have something other than stock. I'd try to find someone selling a used(good) F or E cam. I have that opinion for both turdbo and supercharged 302s and I used to be one of those people who always had some custom cam in his cars but guess I just out grew that with old age.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts