Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new Faceplated TKO 600 from Liberty and was wondering what is the best oil to use in it? Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's a good question. You could call Liberty's Gears. I just finished putting my transmission back together after getting the gears faceplated from Liberty's and I didn't even think about running a different oil. My first gear is still synchronzied and I was just going to run Pennzoil Synchromesh. Is your first gear still synchronized?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run conventional 20-50 engine oil in mine,faceplated 1st and no 5th. Also have run royal purple and g-force's fluid. Never had any type of issues with all mentioned above...

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good question. You could call Liberty's Gears. I just finished putting my transmission back together after getting the gears faceplated from Liberty's and I didn't even think about running a different oil. My first gear is still synchronzied and I was just going to run Pennzoil Synchromesh. Is your first gear still synchronized?
Mine is faceplated 2nd ,3rd and 4th and still has overdrive. I should probably ask Liberty. I think when I first ordered it, I think I asked and if I remember correctly, there were 2 that they mentioned. I know the one was a Mopar part number and the other was a GM part number, but it was not synchromesh. Someone had posted about a Redline synthetic that was supposed to be really good stuff. I think it was originally made for rear ends, high viscosity but still kind of runny since it is synthetic. I was thinking it was called shock-proof or something like that.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I ran synchromesh in mine for 4 years. I street drove mine all the time so I would change it once a year about every 1500 miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've run nothing but Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil. That is what Liberty recommended to me years ago. It is tough on the syncro if you are still synchronized in first.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I used 2 quarts of Synergyn syngear II(same stuff liberty and G-force sells, just rebranded), and fill the rest with synergyn supershift. The supershift helps with engagement of the synchronized gears. I went thru a few other oils before i found that stuff and after going to the synergyn oil, i wouldnt use anything else.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have been running combination 2 Quarts Mobil SHC 626 and 1 Quart Synergyn Syngear in the trannys and rearends that I have. Doc's setup looks good also knowing what I know about those product, but not using them in my stuff. I had some wear issues with the Red Line Shock Proof Light. Liberty recommended that with the Astro's but it didn't get along with the 9310 alloy at the gear face. Fortunately I had the tranny apart sooner than I wanted and saw what was going on before it got to bad.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to Brad at Liberty Gears who built the trans and he recommended a 75-90W Synthetic from GM Performance or Mopar. He said it's the same oil just packed differently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts