Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96' 302 from a truck in my car that I built up for drifting and I was wondering what would be the best oil to run in it? Replaced every seal and gaskets. Running Castrol Edge 5w40 full synthetic atm. But was wondering if that will be thick enough for a drifting application for this motor. Thx

·
Registered
759 Posts
oil temp gauge is your friend
This is true. If it gets out of control you can run a remote mounted oil cooler.

Most of the big oil company synthetics should be fine. I like Mobil 1, but that’s only because it’s cheap at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
He won't have time to look at the temp or oil pressure gauge. Buy an adjustable pressure switch. Wire it so you can start the motor and kill it at the desired low pressure. Or buy the holley dash and do the same. You will then own the dash for any future builds.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'd run 10/30 or 10/40 just to be safe on an engine with that many miles. It's got some wear, so going to 10w (hot viscosity) will help. The cheapest full syn with some of the highest oil test ratings I've seen is Quaker State Ultimate durability. I run 0/30 in my Ram and it's $20 for a 5 gallon jug at Walmart.com

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd run 10/30 or 10/40 just to be safe on an engine with that many miles. It's got some wear, so going to 10w (hot viscosity) will help. The cheapest full syn with some of the highest oil test ratings I've seen is Quaker State Ultimate durability. I run 0/30 in my Ram and it's $20 for a 5 gallon jug at Walmart.com
FYI....in the 10w-30, 10 represents how the oil flows when cold, 30 indicates the viscosity when hot.
10 is not the hot viscosity.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
like what the viscosity of 30 weight oil at operating temp would be

30 weight is less viscous when hot, compared to cold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts