Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I need to repaint the quarter panels and some other interor plastic in my 92 GT.

Can anyone recommend the best brand paint that would match teh OEM black.
I have read SEM have good products...not sure I have that brand up here in Cad.

Thank you..

·
Registered
75 Posts
SEM Landau black is your best bet. Amazon and Summit carry it. The best way to match panel color is to coat them all at the same time that way they are sure to match. I’m a big fan of the SEM system, using the SEM soap etc. I’ve used this system on a bunch of different cars and never had an issue. The SEM products hold up over time. This picture is a steering wheel that was in pretty bad shape......SEM brought it back.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
When I painted an interior years back, I used the full SEM kit as azmack did. It came out great and held up, for the few years I owned the car, really well actually. I was impressed with it.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I used SEM Landau black to match the cupholder console to my OE black interior. Worked quite well

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much... I ll go with SEM... and you guys are saying that the adhesion step is important right..
I don`t know what paint this guy used before. .but its pretty tacky and chips right offf.. I don't have much to paint as I salvaged a lot of OEM panels especially in the trunk and kick panles etc.. Saved and restored my door panels.. thank God for that.. and center console from LMR.. center base console as well.. anyhow its a very long story... from my totaled 92.. ( no I was not driving it..the story is in the search for those who are interested)...Im waiting 4 years for this transplant rebuild, from one 92 Hatch to the other. The Chip is all we're waiting for now...Interior is stripped and Im ready to paint the quarter panels..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you use the XXX adhesion and the SEM Plastic and Vinyl Prep Spray can..

Today I went to a distributor and picked up one SEM Black Landau can. I got the SEM soap, the SEM adhesion triple xxx.. Wont teh Soap and Vinyl Plastic Prep do the same thing.. I opted to skip the Prep Plastic Can.. andjust use the soap...

My questions are: .. what was your process IF you used the xxx adhesion..
Did you spray the xxx and let it completely dry.. because the rep told me that I should spray it on wet. and allow not more than 15min to 30 min before dropping the color coat on..

And what would be the truly first step.
A. wash the quarter panel thoroughly with Dawn soap for example,, then use the SEM soap, then I rinse that off and allow for everything to air dry., then begin ?
Can I let things dry over a day? Does the SEM soap have any component that it needs to react with the adhesion the same day etc..I doubt it but just asking...

Thanks for your help

SEM Landau black is your best bet. Amazon and Summit carry it. The best way to match panel color is to coat them all at the same time that way they are sure to match. I’m a big fan of the SEM system, using the SEM soap etc. I’ve used this system on a bunch of different cars and never had an issue. The SEM products hold up over time. This picture is a steering wheel that was in pretty bad shape......SEM brought it back. View attachment 1060631

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you use the XXX adhesion and the SEM Plastic and Vinyl Prep Spray can..

Today I went to a distributor and picked up one SEM Black Landau can. I got the SEM soap, the SEM adhesion triple xxx.. Wont teh Soap and Vinyl Plastic Prep do the same thing.. I opted to skip the Prep Plastic Can.. andjust use the soap...

My questions are: .. what was your process IF you used the xxx adhesion..
Did you spray the xxx and let it completely dry.. because the rep told me that I should spray it on wet. and allow not more than 15min to 30 min before dropping the color coat on..

And what would be the truly first step.
A. wash the quarter panel thoroughly with Dawn soap for example,, then use the SEM soap, then I rinse that off and allow for everything to air dry., then begin ?
Can I let things dry over a day? Does the SEM soap have any component that it needs to react with the adhesion the same day etc..I doubt it but just asking...

Thanks for your help
I prep by wiping everything down with denatured alcohol. I use white towels , keep wiping until the towel stays clean. Second step is applying the SEM soap and lightly scrubbing with a gray Scothbrite pad. I wipe the SEM soap off with a damp towel. Last step is wiping down with SEM solve.
In place of the SEM solve, you can use the XXX . Spray wet and let it flash then go to your color. I typically use 1 light coat, wait 5 minutes then 2 wet coats.

The SEM soap is the key.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I used a scotch brite first, followed by a regular soap and water bath and let dry. I handled with gloves during entire process and then once dry, began to paint.

I only did my cupholder console lid however, but I’ve purposely tried to scratch it and it’s held up quite well.

I used to be anti-painted interior, until doing it myself and seeing how well it has actually held out. If I was doing the entire interior, I’d spend the money on additional prep products like azmack mentioned. Do it once do it right...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well here's the update!!! I am blown away by the quality finish with the SEM products.

I am not a fan of painting interiors and I would rather have used the quarter panels and full interior from my white 92 GT that was totalled in a wreck a few years ago.. ( I was not driving nor in the car).. anyhow..Engine was in tact and all major suspensions and so forth survived. So we're transplanting it all into a red 92 GT Hatch. But this one has a horrible interior. Repainted with crayola, some terrible disgusting door panels that were falling apart, just a really poorly maintained car and now I have resorted it super mint.

So with this paint system.I am literally in awe.

This is what I did:

Wash with Dawn soap. Allow to dry I used a leaf blower as well.
Then used the SEM PREP Scuff and Clean paste This thing was awesome.. I used it with a blue scotch brite,, I really did not want to go to rough.
I washed it off with a soaked microfiber towel and then rinse it again,..I left that dry..
Then I used the SEM Plastic and Leather Prep. I applied this and then wipe dit with a dry micro fiber towel, usually keeping the wiping off in one direction. I let this dry as well a little longer.

Then I went to work.

XXX Adhesion, light coat, then a 5 minute wait.
Then wet coat, then a 15 to 20 minute wait. not more than 30min.
Then Landau Black, light coat but good coverage still.
Then 8 minutes and a wet coat
another 8 minutes then a second wet coat.

I have BRAND NEW black quarter panels..I uploaded some before and after pics.

I also painted a center console armrest.. These were so HARD find in OEM black, I ended up getting a beige one that was in tact.. Look how well the Landau and these steps have made the whole piece look OEM; Im changing the pad to black of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well here's the update!!! I am blown away by the quality finish with the SEM products.

I am not a fan of painting interiors and I would rather have used the quarter panels and full interior from my white 92 GT that was totalled in a wreck a few years ago.. ( I was not driving nor in the car).. anyhow..Engine was in tact and all major suspensions and so forth survived. So we're transplanting it all into a red 92 GT Hatch. But this one has a horrible interior. Repainted with crayola, some terrible disgusting door panels that were falling apart, just a really poorly maintained car and now I have resorted it super mint.

So with this paint system.I am literally in awe.

This is what I did:

Wash with Dawn soap. Allow to dry I used a leaf blower as well.
Then used the SEM PREP Scuff and Clean paste This thing was awesome.. I used it with a blue scotch brite,, I really did not want to go to rough.
I washed it off with a soaked microfiber towel and then rinse it again,..I left that dry..
Then I used the SEM Plastic and Leather Prep. I applied this and then wipe dit with a dry micro fiber towel, usually keeping the wiping off in one direction. I let this dry as well a little longer.

Then I went to work.

XXX Adhesion, light coat, then a 5 minute wait.
Then wet coat, then a 15 to 20 minute wait. not more than 30min.
Then Landau Black, light coat but good coverage still.
Then 8 minutes and a wet coat
another 8 minutes then a second wet coat.

I have BRAND NEW black quarter panels..I uploaded some before and after pics.

I also painted a center console armrest.. These were so HARD find in OEM black, I ended up getting a beige one that was in tact.. Look how well the Landau and these steps have made the whole piece look OEM; Im changing the pad to black of course.
Looks great! The SEM system is awesome and the results speak for themselves. Here’s another SEM interior, Landau black and Ladera (for titanium).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great! The SEM system is awesome and the results speak for themselves. Here’s another SEM interior, Landau black and Ladera (for titanium). View attachment 1064540
It looks great I can't wait to put these parts in my car ...the car is being tuned a few more adjustments and then I will post pictures when it's completed... I'm hoping it'll be by this weekend ...it's been quite a while ..whole story to follow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts