Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy a new set of heads for my new 427 dart irn eagle shortblock.its an efi set up with 55 lb inj,610 lift hyd roller,dish pist,all forged,spyder intake"carb converted",long tube 351 headers,c4 auto.i had a 351 lightning shortblock with the above set up with edel performer heads at 12lbs it made 612hp to the tires.
should i just reuse the heads that i did have on it? i just dont think they will work on this new motor.what do u guys think?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had VERY well worked old school TFS Street Heats on mine with a T-Trim. They did GREAT!!! The car made 650-675 with 12 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you're looking for a direct bolt type head. A worked over set of high ports, or an equally worked over set of TFS R's.

Or you could look at some canted valve stuff, but you're changing pistons( if you've bought them already) intake, lifters, and headers. But you'll make more power than the to heads above.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
victor 77219's or the victor gliddens. The victor 77219 in stock form out flow fully ported afr 225 and twr. You can get close to 400cfm from a 77219 head. $550 each bare......The afr's and the twr's in a 225 series are no where near as expensive.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The best two bolt on and go would be a TEA Vic Jr 225 or AFR 225, due to there stock valve spacing/port.

I agree. I would add a TEA ported Highports. I think AFR's are the best bang for the buck, but if you are wanting to keep from spending much right now, you could always go with a set of Vic jr's or highports, and have them ported later.

Victor/Glidden and Victor heads are pretty big for anything that resembles a street car. Yea, they flow like crazy, and will make tremendous power, but they are far from a bolt on type head. And the $550 bare price sounds good, but you will end up with an easy $3000 in a set once they are machined and ready to run. Trick Flow Rs would more than likely have some piston-valve issues.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What ever heads you go with you might want to look at bigger injectors
Exactly! I was about to make the same comment...I found my 55lbs were almost static with my 408 with 10lbs of boost. I switched to 83lbs and have not had any issues since...

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
yeah, as mentioned, 55 lbs injectors won't be enough.

I'd say out of the box AFR 225s will fly on that setup, but I would also suggest a custom cam. What blower and how much boost are you wanting to shove through it?

The 225s that are on my current 427 came off an R blocked 363ci setup with an F3 procharger pushing about 28-30 lbs of boost. It went 5.10 in the 1/8 at 3200 lbs with these heads, smallish solid roller, spider style intake and ice cooler. Would have gone 7.80s 1/4 mile, but he wrecked the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts