Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Wondering if anybody here has raced or tracked more than just one generation of Mustangs?

I was pretty set on campaigning a 65 but somone said the later years 68/69 are better because they can stuff more tire in the wheel well.
As with any generation, the newer ones weigh more.

Just curious if anyone has any tips or suggestions?

David

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I've only worked with the Fox chassis, the new edge variant and s550. Because "1st Gen" covers such broad body styles, "vintage" to me speaks 64-66, "TransAm" speaks the later Gen1 MYs. You are correct that as you get to the newer bodys, tire size options increase but so does weight (excluding the Mustang II). If the rule-set allows modest body mods, I'd go with the 65/66. FWIW, my Fox runs 11x18 CCW wheels with 315/30s on all 4 corners. This was accomplished with 3.5" metal fender flares molded into the body (all metal body). It runs a wider front and rear track, and has the front axle moved forward .75" as well. And it's a street car so it's finished nicely. But my s550 can run this wheel/tire package and bigger without the body mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really helpful reply.

Thanks.

I am actually going back and fort with what I want to do.....

I'm really hot on the Vintage idea, the sound/look/feel of it, but I realize its super expensive etc. I do have a bunch of 65 stuff and some of the 289 stuff that I would put in it (550-600hp @8400), but the rule set is really stupid in some areas and totally 'loose' in other areas. For instance, you have to run in line iron heads, but you can run a dog box transmission.
As you go up a year, you can run a 302 but there is a weight penalty.
Since I started with getting info for this project, I came across another option that 'might' be interesting....
That is a 1964 Mercury Comet. That's the only year combo that you can run a 289 with a 2400lb weight. The 65/66 Mustang is 2700lbs.
There is a lot to be said about 300lbs, but you have a decent aero penalty I would imagine.
So, still some figuring out to do.

Now...
As I was searching race group sizes and participation, I came across the American Iron series and the Camaro Mustang Challenge which has pretty decent size run groups.
If I was to run an AI car, then I would consider the Fox body for the weight savings (and lower HP required for the power to weight class), but again the newer genrations have much better chassis dynamics.

Having said all that, a friend of a friend wants to get rid of a CMC car - 97 Cobra real cheap, so I might just buy that one first and then decide if I want to build a Vintage racer of a American Iron car.

here comes another rabbit hole...

I've only worked with the Fox chassis, the new edge variant and s550. Because "1st Gen" covers such broad body styles, "vintage" to me speaks 64-66, "TransAm" speaks the later Gen1 MYs. You are correct that as you get to the newer bodys, tire size options increase but so does weight (excluding the Mustang II). If the rule-set allows modest body mods, I'd go with the 65/66. FWIW, my Fox runs 11x18 CCW wheels with 315/30s on all 4 corners. This was accomplished with 3.5" metal fender flares molded into the body (all metal body). It runs a wider front and rear track, and has the front axle moved forward .75" as well. And it's a street car so it's finished nicely. But my s550 can run this wheel/tire package and bigger without the body mods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts