Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is everybody's opinion on best gear for an auto trans Coyote ?
3.55, or 3.73. or how is the 4.10 with that step 1st gear?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
None of those.

3.31 has tested as the best gear down the 1/4 mile time and time again. Close 2nd is the stock 3.15 gear. The 6R80 has 0 in common with the earlier trans ratios, throw any bias you have from those years out the window.

Forum friend of mine ran 11.2 with the stock 3.15s, full longtube exhaust, Circle D stall, suspension/slicks and a tune. That's it. Stock airbox even.

Save your money, leave the 3.15s in there, spend it on one of the mods listed above.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I'd go with 3.73's, but that just my opinion.
Your opinion is wrong. For the auto anyway. Do the math on the 6R80 gear ratios and you'll see why.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bought my 2011 GT 6R80 with 4.10s and it was fun for about 1/2 an hour lol! 4.10 is waaaay too low for that 1st gear ratio. It shifts into second before you even get out of the crosswalk. I haven't taken it to the track, but I bet it would probably ET better if I started with the shifter in 2nd; that's how short 1st gear is. I eventually got tired of it and swapped the 4.10s for 3.73s. It's better now, but still not ideal. If I had it to do over again, I would go with 3.55s or maybe 3.31s.

·
Registered
175 Posts
From my personal experience i would do 3.73’s in NA stock form. Everyone’s opinion will be different as everyone’s goal is different. 3.73’s IMO offer the best compromise between fun on the street, launching at the track, and not having too steep of a gear for daily driving. We recently went to 3.31’s on a coyote swap from 3.73’s when we installed a VMP blower. Thru the 6r80 on 8psi it was 560hp and went a best of 10.5 @ 132. The 3.31’s let the blower eat down track for sure. But he’s only managing a 1.7 60’ with the 3.31 gears and stock stall....

3.31’s or lower on a stock coyote in NA form is gonna need pretty loose converter to get it out of the hole...

When that same fox was in NA stock form the 3.73’s were a blast.

Also you can run what ever gear you want... dont let anyone tell you you cant run this or cant run that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts