Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing my car up and looking for a quiet performance exhaust that doesn't "drone". I have a stroked forged short block, ported pi heads, cams 2.8 kenny bell and gonna shoot it with a 50 shot. I currently have flowmasters and they are awful for Highway driving.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this subject. Do a search and you will find replies faster than what people will post.

ks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have the Magnaflow with the Magnapack round mufflers. Great at idle, loud at WOT, but nice and mellow at cruising

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I had a Magnaflow system on a mostly stock '98 Mustang GT. It sounded really good. Mellow burble at idle and nice roar under throttle. No drone. Probably the best sounding exhaust on any car I've had. The mufflers on mine were ovals. It was all stainless, which was nice as it was my DD for almost 6 years in Western NY (winters included).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Years ago I was involved with a magazine article on mufflers (I think it was Car Craft). Take a look at Dynomax mufflers. They have a number of models that are surprising quiet and do not really hurt performance below 6K RPM.

Jake

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another vote for dynomax or magnaflow. Also keep your cats they help a lot with sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was just online looking at the borla touring cat back. They had a sound clip video. One of my friends were telling me about dynomax super turbos.

·
Registered
1965 fastback 306 hci v3-si @10psi Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
201 Posts
Dynomax superturbos.
These are cheap mufflers (price wise)
they have a really smooth refined quiet tone.
make sure you get the one that has the “S“ chambers and the only configuration that has those is the offset/offset , the other ones still work great though
Also really depends on if you’re running cats
if you are then even Borla pro xs is pretty quiet. (That’s what I’m running)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ive had flowmaster, dynomax, magnaflow and recently put borla pro xs on my car it was more mellow at idle and cruising and absolutely no drone, they seemed to be about 2db quieter than the others in tests but yielded the same or more power than most. Im happy with them.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I have Dynomax Super Turbos, and they did drone a bit between about 1800 and 2100 RPM. Not at all as bad as the Flowmaster 40's that came off though! I installed Heimholz resonators a few years ago, and the drone is now negligible. I love the low, mellow tone that makes people ask if the engine is actually larger than a 302. (It's not.) And yes, a pair of spun metallic cats will quiet it just a wee bit more, and you won't have to take a shower after every drive.

If you search YouTube for "Steeda #19 cam idle" under user "ashemoski," you should find a video with idle and revs.

EDIT: Video link:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I loath loud exhaust. I have run Dynomax super turbos on various motors; they performed well and were not obnoxious. Over the last few years, the quality of the super turbo has gone down. I always smoke test my exhaust when ever it’s taken apart. The last few sets of super turbos have leaked at their seams or inlets. I’ve since switched to Borla XS mufflers. The Borla is just as quiet at idle and cruise, but a bit louder at WOT. The Borla flows a lot more then the super turbo as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts