Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my heart set on BBS LM's...untill i found out how much they cost! lol...so, my question is... what is a good, affordable, wheel I can throw some R compound tires on and go to the track with? They will be going on a 1990 LX with M-2300-K kit. what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Real Cobra R's...
Pretty much. R58 Cobra Rs are cheap, everyone makes a reproduction copy, and most of them weight about the same as original, which is 25 lbs. for a 17x9 wheel. It's not the lightest wheel out there, but it will clear the Brembo Calipers (I assume that OP misspelled M-2300-X), and it's a tough wheel. I've went off a few times over past 4 years, and while one of the wheels is slightly flat spotted, it still feels fine on the track.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not sure what your definition of "affordable" is (MasterCard, Visa?? :eek:), but Enkei RPF-1's are a nice choice. 17x9 is just 15.9 lbs. $242/each on TireRack as I type.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much do you want to spend and what size wheel? Are you doing a real budget build or do you have money to spend?
I was looking at a 17x9 wheel, as for budget.. i was wanting to keep it under $1500 for just wheels... my main goal is to get the lightest/strongest wheel I can afford..which sounds like the cobra R's.. anything else out there?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Pretty much. R58 Cobra Rs are cheap, everyone makes a reproduction copy, and most of them weight about the same as original, which is 25 lbs. for a 17x9 wheel.
The real ones were a few pounds lighter.

... but it will clear the Brembo Calipers (I assume that OP misspelled M-2300-X) ...
I wouldn't make that assumption. I would say it's much more likely he has Cobra/PBR calipers, as the M-2300-K is the 4-wheel disk kit to convert a Fox to SN95 Cobra brakes. That includes the use of SN95 axles, which means that he'll need different offsets front and rear if he wants to use a 17x9" wheel. That complicates wheel selection a bit.

RPF1s in 17x9" +22mm and +35mm offsets should do the trick. (The original R58 Cobra R is +24mm offset, and the M179 Cobra R that was specifically designed for the M-2300-K setup on a Fox is +36mm offset). Tire Rack shows they stock the +22s for the SN95 Mustangs, and if you call them they may stock the +35s for some other application. And of course TR isn't the only place that sells Enkeis, so you can easily find them in the correct offsets elsewhere with good ol' google.

You might try looking in the wheels & tires classifieds on evolutionm.net, as the EVO guys run offsets in the low/mid 30s. You might find some suitable wheels from them.

Or, you can see about converting back to Fox length axles using the North Racecars brackets. That way you could run the same offset 17x9s front and rear, which would make wheel selection (and tire rotation) much easier.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you have sn95 axles in the rear, you might want to find yourself some 03-04 Cobra rims. I have them for auto-xing and there inexpensive, strong and fit well on foxbodies with the longer axles.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The real ones were a few pounds lighter.

I wouldn't make that assumption. I would say it's much more likely he has Cobra/PBR calipers, as the M-2300-K is the 4-wheel disk kit to convert a Fox to SN95 Cobra brakes. That includes the use of SN95 axles, which means that he'll need different offsets front and rear if he wants to use a 17x9" wheel. That complicates wheel selection a bit.

RPF1s in 17x9" +22mm and +35mm offsets should do the trick. (The original R58 Cobra R is +24mm offset, and the M179 Cobra R that was specifically designed for the M-2300-K setup on a Fox is +36mm offset). Tire Rack shows they stock the +22s for the SN95 Mustangs, and if you call them they may stock the +35s for some other application. And of course TR isn't the only place that sells Enkeis, so you can easily find them in the correct offsets elsewhere with good ol' google.

You might try looking in the wheels & tires classifieds on evolutionm.net, as the EVO guys run offsets in the low/mid 30s. You might find some suitable wheels from them.

Or, you can see about converting back to Fox length axles using the North Racecars brackets. That way you could run the same offset 17x9s front and rear, which would make wheel selection (and tire rotation) much easier.
I've got real ones (silver). Says Made in Japan on the back, and I've had them on the scale bare. 24.5 lbs on a digital scale, that's pretty accurate. They are heavy wheels, but they are cheap, and durable.

Enkei would be my wheel of choice, it's just a shame that caliper clearance is pretty bad as I had to find out later. Drop center goes right where the Brembo caliper is according to all the diagrams that I've seen, and from what other people have posted on C-C. But if indeed the OP is not running Brembo caliper, then they will clear the Cobra caliper fine. I've seen it done plenty of times

·
Registered
574 Posts
Speaking of R58's, anyone know where to get them new anymore? Looks like they, along with all of the SN95 wheels are out of production from Ford Racing.

My personal take is that I refuse to use knockoffs (when I say knockoffs, I mean replicas of another wheel, not aftermarket wheels such as the Enkeis) on the track. On the street is fine but I don't trust any of them on track with R compound tires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Craigslist!

Real FORD wheels...

Cobra - 17x9's (a little narrow for 275's)
Cobra R - 18x9.5's (better for 275's)

You can usually find some with some scratches/curbing, that people are willing to really discount. You may have to take them to a wheel repair shop just to make sure they are still true, but it'll still be way cheaper than new. Who cares if they're scratched? They're track wheels!

·
Registered
62 Posts
MB Motorsports Competition in 17 x 9. Two different offsets to choose from. They weigh 21 lbs. each. I bought mine 4 yrs ago for under $160 apiece.
Nice looking wheels, and I've been running R-comps on them with no problems. Available through Discount Tire. Very popular with the FFR crowd.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Speaking of R58's, anyone know where to get them new anymore? Looks like they, along with all of the SN95 wheels are out of production from Ford Racing.
Mike S. on corner-carvers has a set for sale in the classified. his login is "Toys".

He has Nitto NT01 mounted and I'm trying to decide if I want the tires. The wheels I do not need.

·
Registered
789 Posts
MB Motorsports Competition in 17 x 9. Two different offsets to choose from. They weigh 21 lbs. each. I bought mine 4 yrs ago for under $160 apiece.
Nice looking wheels, and I've been running R-comps on them with no problems. Available through Discount Tire. Very popular with the FFR crowd.
Are you certain about that? I've called MB wheels and they said that they are 30 lbs a wheel. If what you are saying is true, that might be my next set.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Craigslist!

Real FORD wheels...

Cobra - 17x9's (a little narrow for 275's)
Cobra R - 18x9.5's (better for 275's)

You can usually find some with some scratches/curbing, that people are willing to really discount. You may have to take them to a wheel repair shop just to make sure they are still true, but it'll still be way cheaper than new. Who cares if they're scratched? They're track wheels!
The '98 Cobra wheel that resembles the '95 Cobra R is a 17X8, the '95 Cobra R is a 17X9 which is perfect for 275's. Up until everyone ran out of them, you could get R58s for $160 a piece. $640 for a set of known good wheels that are unlikely to fail is cheap insurance.

As for craigslist, in my area (I'd assume just like most areas), you don't see much in the way of quality used wheels that fit the bill, everyone's parting out their drag car. I could buy a million sets of "bigs and skinnies" around here but very few good track wheels. I also refuse to deal with damaged wheels, scratches and a scrape here or there are one thing, dings or major curb rash is another. If I think I need to take them to a shop to have them checked for straightenss, I'd walk on them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MB comp is discontinued. I went with mb weapon in 17x9.5
My bad. I didn't check before I posted. The Weapons are also good wheels. More spokes than the Comps, and come with centercaps.

ReplicaR: I'm certain on the weight. As a matter of fact the Comps are/were 1/2 lb. lighter than my Steeda Ultralites in 17 x 9. It now seems that both my sets of track wheels are out of production. :curses:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
R58s are the way to go.... i was thinking about buying the wheels from CC.com but i dont necessarily need a second set... always good to have spares though

PS: i was looking at BBS LMs as well and im afraid they are not available in the stock r58 sizes/offsets

1 - 20 of 33 Posts