Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a roll cage in my drag stang. It's an 88 hatchback. I need at least a 6 point roll cage that is NHRA legal. There's only one catch: I need the backseat to remain useful (as I could never justify a two seater to my gf). ;)

Currently looking at the Maximum Motorsports 6-pt setup. By the way, I will be welding this in.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Your out of luck because all the rules are based on NHRA which the bar that runs across must be welded which makes the back seat none usable. I don't understand the rules with these classes when I can go to a autocross track that is alot more dangerous and the bar must be bolted in and you can have the rear cross bar removed by bolting it in place. When I run autocross for the 20 minutes of fun instead of 11 seconds you could roll the car, be hit by 12-15 cars and many other things like a rabbit at 140 mph and you want to talk about a steering wheel jumping out of your hand... The rules in drag racing are crazy. How about cars needing a 6ptl bar if your a convertible in the 13's. A lot of cars can do 13's from the factory and they think your going to weld a bar in...Crazy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn. That is a crazy. I guess I will just buy the 12-pt and be done with it. I can always put someone in the hatch. Heheh ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Well, I had ordered an S&W Hatch kit and installed it in my coupe. I had a hatch, then bought the coupe. Anyhow, The rear bars follow the rooline and pass thru the rear speaker tray, so if you use only the 6-point attachment then you could keep the rear seat, and only be obstructed by the horizontal main bar. I couls see that working.

If you look at this pic and think of this withouth the X-brace, and the kicker bars and the bars that point toward the upper torque boxes, then you can see that the rear seat will fit in there and, as long as the rear passenger doesn't mind crawling under the main horizontal bar, than you could keep the rear seat. It is surely possible...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have an 8 point S&W. Smaller people "can" get in the back. There is a technique. With the 8 point, the diagonal bars that go to the rear frame eliminate leg room. I did my cage with plans of being in the 11's, and after a "life change", almost wish I had waited. It was more fun when 4 people could ride comfortably.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone. :)

GreyLX306 said:
I have an 8 point S&W. Smaller people "can" get in the back. There is a technique. With the 8 point, the diagonal bars that go to the rear frame eliminate leg room. I did my cage with plans of being in the 11's, and after a "life change", almost wish I had waited. It was more fun when 4 people could ride comfortably.
I am looking at the S&W 8pt and it says the X-brace is optional and the removable side-braces are optional. Do you think it's possible to install it without removing the whole interior (i.e. just the front seats?) or is it too hard to consider that? I'm trying to sort through the best ways to install it and still maintain the rear seat.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You have to remove about everything. I would have removed the headliner if I didn't have a sunroof. First of all you have welding splatters, then you have to paint it. I removed everything but the dash. I definitely recommend cutting holes in the floor for the hoop as well so you can weld the tops of the rear bars. I opted not to do this. I made some metal plate out of Taurus doors to go against the headliner to keep weld splatters off. Don't plan on this being a weekend project either. I know it can be done in a weekend, but take your time and do it right. It's very permanent once welded. I had to cut and shape the ends of each bar. This takes a little while. I really wish I would have used a better welder and did a better job painting.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Girlfriends and race cars do not mix. I don't care how much they like your car, and how much your car "turns them on". In the end, you are "cheating on them with your car." I know a lot of you have worked this out. PLEASE tell me where to find women like this. I even met one at the damn dragstrip that turned out to be a lemon. BUT, my car has never left me. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts