Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the belt tensioner on a Vortech fox kit being really close to the water pump pulley? I have the p/s pump where the a/c used to be, but everything else is where it should be. Seems like it needs a tensioner that pushes up not down.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the belt tensioner on a Vortech fox kit being really close to the water pump pulley? I have the p/s pump where the a/c used to be, but everything else is where it should be. Seems like it needs a tensioner that pushes up not down.
stock wp pulley? the 1993 cobra is the one to use, especially w/ a 8" crank pulley. ASP makes a version of it

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock wp pulley? the 1993 cobra is the one to use, especially w/ a 8" crank pulley. ASP makes a version of it
No, it's an underdrive one. And i'm run'n the 6.87 on the crank with undredrive accessory. I take it the cobra pulley is a lot smaller?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
correct. Get a 93 Cobra water pump pulley, AND a bigger power steering pump pulley. Search here, as i forget what it came off of. I think mine is from a thunderbird.
Is that bigger p/s pulley gonna offset the smaller w/p pulley so I can keep the same belt?

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dont believe so, it just gives you that much room clearance. But i would definetly measure the belt...To get mine just right, i removed the top bolt on the power steering pump, measured with the pump angling inward, and then installed the belt, using the pump body as leverage to tighten the belt and install the top bolt back in.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kool, thanks for the input guys. Picked up a ASP pulley cause people think the oe cobra ones are made of gold, lol. turns out the tensioner I picked up used was bad, so I got a new one cheap from rockauto.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Keep an eye in it, with the stock steering pulley my belt eventually almost touched at the tensioner and water pump pulley point.

Yeah, people are nuts about those oe cobra pulleys.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Kool, thanks for the input guys. Picked up a ASP pulley cause people think the oe cobra ones are made of gold, lol. turns out the tensioner I picked up used was bad, so I got a new one cheap from rockauto.
Here's the Ford part # for the larger power steering pump pulley which gives U additional clearance along w/the 93 Cobra H20 pump pulley: YR3Z-3A733AA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts