Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a 3" upper and want to go with a 2.800". Vortech claims it will require a 56.5" belt. Sounds to me it will be to loose. I have approximately a fingers width between the belt now at the idler pulley. Current part number of my Dayco Gold is 5080565. Any ideas?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here is what's funny, a 2.800 pulley isn't to be found in stock anywhere. Summit has a 2.700 in stock and apparently it's the only one. Wtf is going on with Vortech? No parts on the shelf and no idea when they will have any.....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well here is what's funny, a 2.800 pulley isn't to be found in stock anywhere. Summit has a 2.700 in stock and apparently it's the only one. Wtf is going on with Vortech? No parts on the shelf and no idea when they will have any.....
Summit has a 2.85" pulley in stock...minimal difference from the 2.80". I just switched to this pulley from the 3.00" that came with my YSi.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vor-2a038-285/overview/

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I saw that one. But it wasn't the "High Traction" version. They did have a 2.700 in the high traction. According to the Vortech calculations, that pulley would have my blower spinning at 74,000rpm. Not a good idea

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yea I saw that one. But it wasn't the "High Traction" version. They did have a 2.700 in the high traction. According to the Vortech calculations, that pulley would have my blower spinning at 74,000rpm. Not a good idea
The 2.85" is the high-traction model...they don't make it in the regular black anodized model. Summit just screwed up the ad by listing the finish as "black anodized." It is absolutely the renegade high-traction model. I purchased mine through Summit so I could have it in two days instead of waiting over a week from Vortech.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow.....I see that now. Why would Vortech make a 2.850" & a 2.800" pulley? .050" difference between the two isn't going to make enough difference in boost to justify the 2 sizes.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTF.....I've changed to the 2.800 upper and went with the KO80545HD belt and its not even close to fitting. It appears to be a 1/2 to short.

·
Registered
799 Posts
WTF.....I've changed to the 2.800 upper and went with the KO80545HD belt and its not even close to fitting. It appears to be a 1/2 to short.
Just went through this same debacle...although it looks impossible, it will fit. You have to bump it on. Leave the tensioner pulley off, wrap the belt around the blower pulley and get it on as many of the ribs on the bottom of the crank pulley as possible so that it stays put. Have a buddy keep an eye on the belt as you bump the starter lightly a couple times and the belt will walk right on. Once on, reinstall the tensioner pulley and tighten the belt a bit and run it for a while to stretch it. Once on, you will not need to tension it very far before the belt gets extremely tight.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that won't work either. Its not even close at all. If I was able to get the belt on, the tensioner pulley would never be able to fit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After exchanging belts 2 times, I've finally gotten the right one. Correct belt Size is K080560HD

·
Registered
799 Posts
After exchanging belts 2 times, I've finally gotten the right one. Correct belt Size is K080560HD
Is your setup passenger side or driver side? K080545HD definitely works on my driver side YSi so the two must have different spacing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the passenger side. Doesn't make much sense but, Vortech has and still does things that makes you go..... WTF ?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
with the gates belts the advertised length isn't the effective length. best bet is to download the catalog in pdf format for future reference.

the gates 545 doesn't work on the passenger side, been through it with my 2.80/8.00

·
Registered
799 Posts
with the gates belts the advertised length isn't the effective length. best bet is to download the catalog in pdf format for future reference.

the gates 545 doesn't work on the passenger side, been through it with my 2.80/8.00
I guess the passenger and driver side setups must be spaced differently. I just made the assumption they would be the same.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As would I. Doesn't make sense why the head unit would be closer on the driver's side vs. the passenger side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts