Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
11,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in need of a replacement battery; my Optima Red 75/35 720CCA is finally done after 15 years of it being in my Cobra.

I’ve priced the same Optima Red and these things are $199-$230 now, depending on who is selling it.

I’m looking for same CCA, any recommendations for something other than an Optima Red?

·
Registered
292 Posts
My car has a Napa legend premium. In it right now. The one before lasted about 8 years, but the last two it had to be changed a few times. I am pretty hard on batteries. I use it to power the winch on the car trailer. :)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I run a standard replacement Interstate battery. I've had zero issues with them ever. And I've also had very good luck with Deka batteries. Made in PA.

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Based on the duration, and success you had with your last Optima Red why not buy another one? You paid all the money last time, what's the issue now. Honestly, lots of people have had success with many other types of vendors but I would stick with what worked for me.

FYI,
I use a Diehard Platinum Group size 34 (it's mounted in the trunk and no longer offered).

Good luck
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
10 Posts
15 years? I’m lucky for anything over 3 years anymore, no matter what I do. I can disconnect the terminals, run a trickle charger, it doesn’t matter. It’s probably no coincidence that all the warranties seem to max out at 3 years as well. I run the Optima yellow top and have gone through 3 of them in the last 10 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Based on the duration, and success you had with your last Optima Red why not buy another one? You paid all the money last time, what's the issue now. Honestly, lots of people have had success with many other types of vendors but I would stick with what worked for me.

FYI,
I use a Diehard Platinum Group size 34 (it's mounted in the trunk and no longer offered).

Good luck
Michael Plummer
The consensus online seems to be the Optima are no longer the same quality they once were.

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
The consensus online seems to be the Optima are no longer the same quality they once were.
If the online community reviews are less than stellar did something change in terms of quality? Did the manufacturing process change? Was any independent testing done to make the consensus online believe the quality isn't the same? Johnson Controls makes a ton of batteries and I believe they make Optima too. It would be interesting to see their response to the consensus online opinion on their Optima quality.

Thanks
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
True story. The old Optimas later forever. Optima moved manufacturing to Mexico some years back and they have never been the same.
XS Power AGM or Odysee AGM batteries are great choices although pricey. I've had great luck with Interstate stock replacements. There's only a few battery manufacturers that make them all. Johnson Controls, Exide and Deka off the top of my head. Deka makes many of the lightweight racing batteries that are highly regarded. Here in the AZ heat; very few batteries make it past 2-3 years. The Interstate lead acid and XS Power AGM's have lasted me 5 or more. I think it's the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
23,260 Posts
put a ford battery in a ford car

done,

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
put a ford battery in a ford car

done,
Lol! It's too bad that Ford doesn't manufacture their own batteries. It's just a sticker. They were manufactured by Johnson Controls up until last year. Johnson Controls sold their battery division last year.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ford battery, and make sure to use Ford belts and tires too!

I bought an Optima Red Top 3 years ago and it was damaged in shipping. They shipped me a new one but it was just a crack in the casing so I gave it to my buddy. Both of our batteries lasted less than a year. I had a Deka for at least 10 years prior and should've stuck with it, bought a Deka AGM after the Optima debacle.

·
Registered
23,260 Posts
Lol! It's too bad that Ford doesn't manufacture their own batteries. It's just a sticker. They were manufactured by Johnson Controls up until last year. Johnson Controls sold their battery division last year.

i’ll help ya

put a battery bought at ford with a ford sticker on it, in your ford

done.

is that better?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i’ll help ya

put a battery bought at ford with a ford sticker on it, in your ford

done.

is that better?
Will the car explode if I install an AC Delco? Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m in need of a replacement battery; my Optima Red 75/35 720CCA is finally done after 15 years of it being in my Cobra.

I’ve priced the same Optima Red and these things are $199-$230 now, depending on who is selling it.

I’m looking for same CCA, any recommendations for something other than an Optima Red?
I recommend Motorcraft. My ORIGINAL 2007 battery (over 13 years old) is still going strong.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Going on the 7th year with a Walmart battery. It was like $65 when I bought it and now with all the regulations and taxes those same batteries are over $100. If it starts, I run it.. especially since I don't drive the car enough to justify the cost of a the expensive batteries.

Reactions: fasterthangas

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I just bought an Oddessey Performance AGM for the trunk. I researched this heavily and it appears the Optimas have a internal shorting issue these days. So I went with Oddessey.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you have any taste or class you’ll put a Motorcraft battery in there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts