Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently relocated my battery to the trunk so I could mount the coolant tank for my intercooler. I initially hooked up the battery utilizing the heavy power wire for the positive and I grounded the battery to the chassis in the rear. The motor is grounded to the chassis in 3 places. I could barely get it to turn over if I had the battery hooked up to the charger.

I then installed a 0 gauge from the motor to the ground on the battery and it still won't start. After inspecting the solenoid I realized a bad post was making it impossible to get it tight, so I installed a new solenoid. So now I have a 1 gauge from positive battery to new solenoid and 0 gauge from negative battery to front of motor. The battery has been tested but it still won't start. When I turn the ignition it clicks and the power wire/positive side of solenoid are hot to touch.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had a similar issue, what I did was run the power from the battery to the starter then ran the small wire from the starter to the solenoid only using it as a switch, in my head it works as the starter gets the power first, not from solenoid then battery

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
So I recently relocated my battery to the trunk so I could mount the coolant tank for my intercooler. I initially hooked up the battery utilizing the heavy power wire for the positive and I grounded the battery to the chassis in the rear. The motor is grounded to the chassis in 3 places. I could barely get it to turn over if I had the battery hooked up to the charger.

I then installed a 0 gauge from the motor to the ground on the battery and it still won't start. After inspecting the solenoid I realized a bad post was making it impossible to get it tight, so I installed a new solenoid. So now I have a 1 gauge from positive battery to new solenoid and 0 gauge from negative battery to front of motor. The battery has been tested but it still won't start. When I turn the ignition it clicks and the power wire/positive side of solenoid are hot to touch.

Any ideas?
if you performed a voltage drop test on the power and ground you would not need to guess.

you should not ground directly to the battery, you should go through the body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts