Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the posts and grasp the basic concept, and without reinventing the wheel, I wanted to see how much of my existing setup I can use, without re-running all the existing wiring. I've got the battery grounded out on a solid ground, positive lead to kill switch, other side of switch to a fuse and is 1/0 to the front of the car where it splits on a dual post battery isolater to the fuse panel, alt, and starter. I know this setup needs to have a kill switch for the alt, but I don't want to run a second 1/0 gauge wire to the front. what would the larger single wire I have now be connected to? Using a remote solenoid in the trunk is also an option. Thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From what I see, it's almost impossible to do without running a second cable to the front. One would be from switched side to power fuse block and starter. The other wire is alt to battery, can anyone verify this will kill?

·
Registered
683 Posts
There are kill switches that accept a 10ga wire from alt. Moroso makes one. Also fuse should be between battery and kill switch, closer to battery the better, if I haven't read your post incorrectly.

Running from alt back to bat will kill engine but 1gauge is overkill.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, fuse is in there, only reason I didn't want to buy another kill switch is because I am using a moroso 2 post already. Should I take it to the kill switch or direct to battery? Also, good call on the 10 gauge, I may use 4 because I have leftover and don't want voltage drop.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8 gauge back wire with orange stripe as well as small green wire are spliced together off the alternator to make 2 10 gauge ends. Looks to be like a fusible link in there as well...I decided to replace the black and orange 8 gauge wire with 4 gauge wire to the rear of the car directly to the battery or on the kill side of the switch. Which one would be better? Is 4awg large enough for the 130 amp alt to run through 16'? Should I put a fuse inline as well? The green wire splices into the wire, can I cut it and make a jumper to the hot side of the alt? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts