1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I wired everything according to this diagram:

http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom.html

I even have the 150 Amp inline fuse.

I connected the positive side of the battery, and than went to connect the negative side. When I did, the terminal sparked (normal) but my 150 amp fuse lit up, and popped. With both battery terminals connected, the car has zero power.

Help? I don't want to go and buy another 150 amp fuse until I know what went wrong.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
find the short, bro.

Is your switch shorting itself to the trunk? Watch where you wire the terminal, if you improperly install the switch (say hang the switch 'outside' the car and push the terminals through, you will short the hot wire right to the trunk.)

if you're blowing the fuse possibly there's a short up near the starter/alternator area. A voltmeter is pretty good at finding shorts, just keep the battery unplugged and test your wiring.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Are you absolutely positive you wired it correctly? Its very easy to miss a mistake. I would check everywhere that the wire is connected (solenoid. switch, ground, etc.) and also check any and all locations where the wires are going through sheetmetal. Also, you mind telling me how you hooked the wire to the alt. up? By this I mean what wires from the alt. did you splice into?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I used a 2 gauge from the cutoff switch, and attached it to the alternator. I left the orange black wire intact and attached, since it ran to the fuse box and the fuse box needed power.

·
Registered
743 Posts
you need to cut the black/orange wires and splice those into the 2 guage running to the alternator so that the wires come off the plug, than go to that wire that goes to your cutoff switch

·
Registered
253 Posts
wire a 30 amp circuit breaker where the fuse blew,hook your battery up and start disconnecting,pulling fuses,after like 10minutes if you still haven't found it the wire shorting should be warm
pay special attention to the output wire between the alt and the fuse if you mounted your fuse holder check that too

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I may know what I did wrong.

The cutoff switch was connected to the alternator (2ga) which was connected to the fuse box (4ga) which was grounded AND connected to the starter solenoid which was connected to the cutoff switch.

It the alternator supposed to be connected to the cutoff switch and nothing else?

My 1995 GT stock alternator does NOT have two black and orange wires coming out of the top like everybody says! It only has a large 4gauge black wire with an orange stripe. Do I disconnect this and leave it, attaching the 2 gauge from the cutoff switch?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
DarkMesa8 said:
I think I may know what I did wrong.

The cutoff switch was connected to the alternator (2ga) which was connected to the fuse box (4ga) which was grounded AND connected to the starter solenoid which was connected to the cutoff switch.

It the alternator supposed to be connected to the cutoff switch and nothing else?

My 1995 GT stock alternator does NOT have two black and orange wires coming out of the top like everybody says! It only has a large 4gauge black wire with an orange stripe. Do I disconnect this and leave it, attaching the 2 gauge from the cutoff switch?
YES. Disconnect at the alternator, cover it up, and that's IT. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE SOLENOID.

The alternator goes to the cutoff switch or battery (+) post, that's it. On your cutoff switch, you will have only the battery (+) and the alternator charge wire on one side, everything else will work off the other side of the switch. In a fox, that other side is a 1/O running back up to the solenoid. On your car, it runs up to the fuse box/starter solenoid/whatever.

It helps to say what year your car is. Everyone here thought you had a 3G upgrade for a Fox body.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It helps to say what year your car is. Everyone here thought you had a 3G upgrade for a Fox body.
Damn, sorry guys... I didn't think they were that different. I knew the alternators were rated different, but not the connections. Sorry!

I'm still curious as to whether or not I could have fried my alternator, the if the 150amp fuse saved it by blowing?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The alternator should be A-Ok. I've blown my 150amp fuse before and my 3G is still kickin'.

Click here to see how to wire a 3G into a Fox that came with a 2G. That will give you a little idea on the differences...namely the 2G has two plugs that house everything and the 3G has the stator wire separate and a single charging wire.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I disconnected the wire from the alternator, and the fuse popped AGAIN!!!

Right now I'm pissed. Those fuses are $10 a piece. I'm very upset because it took me a whole day to get that fuse back in stock so I could buy it.

And guess what, the negative battery post melted to the terminal! I had to pull it off, and there's a nice indentation where the terminal was touching.

WTF is going on?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There's your problem. Why is there a ground there? All the power is going straight to ground.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, it was not grounded. I misfollowed the wires.

BUT, after I disconnected the 4ga from the alternator and covered it up, leaving only the 2ga on the alternator, the fuse STILL BLEW!!!

I tested the chassis of the car to the negative post and found 12 volts floating around. This is with the positive connected, the negative disconnected, and using a digital voltmeter from the negative cable to the negative battery terminal.

OK, so 12 volts automatically equals a short?

When I turn the kill switch off, the 12 volts stays there.

But, when I disconnect the alternator, the 12 volts goes away.

Would a short in the alternator cause the 150amp fuse to blow up?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The alternator is being rebuilt as I type. The man at the shop (whom I do trust) said that the alternator wasn't even charging at all.

Now, without the alternator, the digital multimeter reads 3 volts. (starts at 6, than dies down to 3). It three volts going to kill my 150amp fuse AGAIN, or kill my alternator AGAIN?

·
Registered
743 Posts
you didnt undo the voltage regulator did you?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts