Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know how thick the rear bulkhead needs to be. I race at an IHRA track and there's nothing about bulkheads with batteries in the trunk in the rulebook. I want to be legal at a NHRA track too. I think it's 0.024 for steel and 0.032 for aluminum, but I want to be sure.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Dave...You have a hatchback correct...I have a hatch as well in my NMRA PURESTREET CAR and i don't have a bulk head in my car but if you have a fuel cell then you need a divider for your car.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
362 Posts
Dave, I just checked the 2003 rulebook and you are correct. You can also use a approved box with a vent and no firewall is required.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's a coupe. No battery box. I pulled the backseat, so I've got a big hole now... tech won't like it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ROCKET91

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dave,
I posted a question similar to this. I hear that if you use the Moroso box, you will not even need a bulkhead.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jbes3 said:
Dave,
I posted a question similar to this. I hear that if you use the Moroso box, you will not even need a bulkhead.

You heard right. With the NHRA you must meet one of two requirements. Either the box is sealed and vented, or there is a bulkhead sealing the battery from the driver's compartment. In a hatchback, the easiest requirement to meet is a battery box. In a coupe, putting up $20 worth of 20 gage aluminum is easier and cheaper than a legal box.

With the IHRA, the rules are a little fuzzy in this area. All I can find is that with a hatchback you have to have a sealed and vented box. They mention nothing about a rear bulkhead. I don't even know if a bulkhead in a hatchback, such as the one from Wolfe, would be legal.

Last night was the first time at the track with my relocated battery and all tech asked was if I had a cutoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts