Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, on a cold day my car turns over very slowly. I think i may have a weak battery. What are the best batteries out there and what is a good cold cranking amps?? Thanks and Happy New Years to you all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well if you have the money for it and want a good battery I'd say get a Optima Red Top!! You can get one from SUMMIT. $129.69

part # ULT-9002-002....Top Posts
" " ULT-9004-003....Top and side posts.

I would like to get one in the near future.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I look at batteries as a regular maintenance item. About every three years I spend 40-50 bucks and put one in. I just go to Costco and pick one up. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Re: Battery on 94gt

boricua_5litro said:
Hey guys, on a cold day my car turns over very slowly. I think i may have a weak battery. What are the best batteries out there and what is a good cold cranking amps?? Thanks and Happy New Years to you all.

Well man, it's always good to keep your battery up-to-date, but check this out... I just bought a brand new battery before it started getting cold here in Dallas. Well, one morning, it took a little longer than normal. So, if you know your battery is fine, then just deal with it. I know without a doubt my car has no problems. It just takes a little longer to start. You're Rican, right? What area are you from?

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you still have the original battery you definitely ought to get a new one. But the above points are valid. All battery's loose a little power when its cold, on a good battery with good clean battery cable's etc. you shouldn't notice the difference. But if your battery is marginal you will notice a difference.
If you have the money the 130$ Optima's are great. As I recall the Optima's are either totally dry or filled with some non acidic gel. As I recall Holley is coming out with some equivilent battery and Schucks even has something equivilent for @ 130$.
But for @35$ I got a battery from Costco. I have had it for about a year and I have been quite happy with it.
While you have your battery out inspect your cables and dip them in baking soda and water to neutralize any acid which may be on them. Also inspect your battery tray and hardware (bolts etc.), replacing any items which are corroded. I would suggest you also wash the battery tray and sorrounding area off after using a toothbrush and some baking soda to neutralize any acid which may be present. Conventional Battery's are nasty things and the better job you do of cleaning up the area your battery occupied the less corrosion you will have down the road.
But don't let me scare you to much, because our batteries are supposed to be sealed from Ford. I just like to play things safe with my Mustang.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts