Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for ####s and giggles where did you relocate your battery? I see a lot of racers install it over the passengers side rear tire. Why? I see a lot of cars side step to the right and try to pull the left front tire. So correct me if I'm wrong, didn't most all the foxes of the 90s run an air bag in the RR spring.

So where did you locate your battery and why. Some pics would be nice of a fox with battery located over the LR.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's all in the game of traction. The right rear tire gets hit harder than the left when the car leaves so putting the extra weight over it would make sense. It's also the way drivetrain rotation works against the car. You'll never see a car pull the passenger side front tire only. It's either the driver side front or both.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
i havent mounted my battery box yet. its going to depend where the scales say i need weight once the motor is in the car? ive seen them anywhere from the front bumper to the rear bumper

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm sure the scale idea is the best but mine is 99% street car so I wanted it out of my way. I have a secondary fuel cell in the battery spot. So this battery is light and let me keep it clean in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Batteries have been installed over the right rear for ions because of direction the engine turns. The torque tries to twist the axle the opposite way, lifting the right side and planting the left.

Some more race oriented suspensions have compensation for that effect built in.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A scale will not tell you how the car will transfer weight. By the above theory you will put more weight to the RR tire. Watch a stock fox leave. It side steps to the RR. Why would you take traction away from the LR. The air bag in the RR spring helped even out the load. So does the anti roll bar. So why would you install the battery over the RR tire?

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
This only applies to a car with a solid rear axle and a driveshaft which rotates CCW when viewed from the rear.

The driveshaft torque reacts through the trans, crankshaft, rods, pistons, gas pressure in the combustion chamber, cylinder head, engine block and engine mounts to force the chassis of the car to rotate CW. At the same time, the driveshaft torque is pushing the LR tire down on the ground harder and lifting up the RR tire. This results in less weight over the RR tire than the LR tire. With any given pair of tires on a car, they generate the most possible traction when they share the vertical load on them equally. Given that you can place the battery anywhere, you want to put it in the RR corner of the car, so that the dynamic vertical loads at launch on each rear tire are equal. This gives the greatest possible forward traction for a given total car weight.

·
Registered
655 Posts
So for ####s and giggles where did you relocate your battery? I see a lot of racers install it over the passengers side rear tire. Why? I see a lot of cars side step to the right and try to pull the left front tire. So correct me if I'm wrong, didn't most all the foxes of the 90s run an air bag in the RR spring.
The body only lifts at the left front on launch because the rear axle twists opposite engine direction, causing the torque to lift the right side of the axle. This allows the left front to rise.

When a car with an open differential is stuck in the snow, the right rear tire spins. That's because the torque is lifting the right rear tire.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The body only lifts at the left front on launch...
Because the chassis is not set up properly, IE Cage and ARB are not installed. :wink2:

·
Registered
655 Posts
So your telling me this car has more weight on the LR?
No, not at all about where weight is. (Not initially, the weight, in this case the battery, is placed over the right rear to counter what is happening.) The engine's torque is rotating the axle opposite the engine's rotation. From that rear view, the axle is rotating counter-clockwise, (as Jack said) allowing the left rear of the car (and the left front) to rise, while the right rear squats.

Maybe this: the body does the opposite of what the axle is doing. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

It's been so many years since I learned this that I'm having a hard time explaining it. I'm going to search for a "more better" explanation. (EDIT: no luck)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Because the chassis is not set up properly, IE Cage and ARB are not installed. :wink2:
I understand, but I believe we're talking a relatively stock chassis, maybe one that can be driven on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I highly doubt putting the battery over the passenger axle makes any difference in the world, however it sounds like a good theory, so that’s where I put mine. I also relocated it there for emergency shutoff reasons and I like it hidden and not in the engine bay.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I highly doubt putting the battery over the passenger axle makes any difference in the world, however it sounds like a good theory, so that’s where I put mine. I also relocated it there for emergency shutoff reasons and I like it hidden and not in the engine bay.
+1, that's what I did. What matters the most is that the weight of the battery is transferred to the rear end of the vehicle, in general.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
A scale will not tell you how the car will transfer weight. By the above theory you will put more weight to the RR tire. Watch a stock fox leave. It side steps to the RR. Why would you take traction away from the LR. The air bag in the RR spring helped even out the load. So does the anti roll bar. So why would you install the battery over the RR tire?
i dont set my suspension based off weight transfer, i dont want weight transferring to the back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts