Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Odyssey PC680, which is the same thing as the DynaBatt, only at 1/2 the cost. I figure it's an easy way to get 27-28 lbs. off the nose of the car.

I laid this thing down on it's side i the factory battery tray, and made brackets out of "band iron" and bolted it down on all 4 sides, with the band iron running across it's length and width. This thing isn't going anywhere.

Every DynaBatt install I've ever seen is custom. If anything, my install is total overkill and is 10 times stronger than the factory setup.

Is the NHRA looking for anything specific as far as the install goes??? It's in the stock location, just laid down on it's side. I would assume they'd just want the battery to be held down with something metal, rather than nylon straps or bungee cords or whatever.

Anyone have any experience in this area??? Please enlighten me!!!

Thanks in advance...

:)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Hey Jeff. How well does that battery throw the motor over? Got me thinking, even with a trunk mounted battery I could definitely dig a near 30lbs reduction in weight. My current battery was just shy of 45lbs on the scale and I'm after light this year.

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TC89LX said:
Hey Jeff. How well does that battery throw the motor over? Got me thinking, even with a trunk mounted battery I could definitely dig a near 30lbs reduction in weight. My current battery was just shy of 45lbs on the scale and I'm after light this year.
Hey Tim, it's not in the car yet, as I'm trying to get some straight answers on any legality issues with the install.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Im interested in this also. What does the battery weigh???

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, it's in the car now. No electric fan.

The battery weighs 13 lbs. as opposed to 38-40 for the stocker.

·
Banned
593 Posts
As long as its securely bolted down you wont have a problem......being its still in its stock location and held down with the metal straps i think youll be fine..

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Any pics??? I would sure love to see some!

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could snap a pic for you, but to post it here I'd need someone to host it for me.

If not, post your e-mail here and I'll send you a pic.

:)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
here you go jeff

8.1 BATTERIES

All batteries must be securely mounted and may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is re-located in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch (.6 mm) or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum, or FIA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery, and must be vented outside of body. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds (68 kg) combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements) is permitted. Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Hold-down bolts must be minimum 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) if battery is relocated from stock and other than stock hold-downs are used ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.).

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
One very important sentence missing in Mike's post. " Relocated battery must be fastened to frame rail or to frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8 bolts".
So, it can't just be mounted to the trunk floor, it has to be mounted to the frame rails or the frame structure.

Ron

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Battery is mounted in the stock location, in the stock battery tray. The only rule that applies to me is "battery must be securely mounted". I got that info straight from Weslet Roberson, tech director for the NMRA.

·
Corral Charter Member
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sent the pic to both of you guys. Let me know if you get it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts