Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,771 Posts
my motorcraft 95 rc, reserve capacity rating

95/2.4 = ~40 amp hours

therefore 0.027amp draw is 40/0.027= 1481 hours at that current draw or 61 days

I think your measured parasitic draw is too low to be a problem, battery or charging system is where i would be looking

if you have a DC clamp meter you could compare alt current production and compare it to your system draw, and see if you are at a deficit

I have a 130amp alt, and it can only put a max of, from memory, 65-70amps at idle when i measured

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
my motorcraft 95 rc, reserve capacity rating

95/2.4 = ~40 amp hours

therefore 0.027amp draw is 40/0.027= 1481 hours at that current draw or 61 days

I think your measured parasitic draw is too low to be a problem, battery or charging system is where i would be looking

if you have a DC clamp meter you could compare alt current production and compare it to your system draw, and see if you are at a deficit

I have a 130amp alt, and it can only put a max of, from memory, 65-70amps at idle when i measured
I measured the voltage drop on starting the car and it didn't drop below 10 and the alt is charging at 14.4 or so... I'm thinking it's some kind of weird intermittent thing.

A wire that's shorting but only occasionally.

Friggin electrical gremlins drive me nuts.

I've pulled the fuses from the car alarm. Going to drive it a couple weeks and keep monitoring and see if that might be the culprit.

·
Registered
22,771 Posts
does your battery light in the dash work?

does it ever come on while driving?

do you have a big stereo, electric fan, drive with the blower on high speed?

these loads, can easily put a battery into deficit as the alt cant keep up at idle.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would look for a relay going bad. They can stick closed causing a high drain. It is often intermittent making it hard to find.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts