Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forums and thinking about the Bassani QT catback. Does anyone have this catback with the stock H pipe? Have any sound bits? I want a super low, growl. But I don't know if I want to get an xpipe, as I don't ever want to sound like a Nascar!:barf: Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Got it. With the removable baffles out, it is very loud - almost too loud as the 2000rpm drone is pretty bad. Even with baffles in, that drone is still fairly strong. From the outside, the sound is awesome.

But, if it's loud you want - there it is. Others may chime in that Flowmasters, MAC, and others are louder yet. But I can't imagine living with even more drone day in, day out.

Anyone figure out how to reduce the drone without changing the exhaust?

- Dave (SCOA #1474)
'01 Cobra Coupe (Laser Red, Charcoal), no wing
- #812 of 3867, born 5/7/01
- Dyno results (7/10/01): 273rwhp, 277ft-lbs
- Best ET: 13.748 @ 102.128, 60'=2.264 (7/18/01)
- Potenza RE730, 275/40/17, on CobraR wheels
- Bassani CatBack system (8/1)
- Griggs sub frame connectors (8/18)
- Steeda shifter and Cobra grill emblem (9/26)
- MM strut tower and K brace (10/13)
- 100MM Densecharger (10/27)
- MGW shift lever (1/14/02)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't let anyone talk you into anything. Ask for sound files for each of the cat-backs you are interested in. That way you can hear for yourself.

·
Registered
662 Posts
defores said:
Bassani cat backs are what? $600:eek:
I just had my Bassani Cat-Back installed today, in St. Louis even, and I am thrilled with the result! It's got a deeper tone and it's not quite as loud or edgey with the baffles in as compared to the stockers with the Offroad X. :)

As for pricing, check with Houston Performance, you can get 'em for way less than $600.00.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I had my 97 cobra, I had the o/r bassani x and the QT catback and hated the sound. Very raspy and very Nascar like. this was all from the x pipe.

when I sold the car, I put the stock H pipe back on and left the qt on the car. I was quieter than stock, but lower in tone.

I now have the mac catback from that car on my 00 GT. With the o/r H it sounded like a$$......think glasspacks! Now with the stock H and the mac, nice muscle car sound but hefty drone.

If you want stainless, get the magnaflow. There are several sound files floating around of that system and we have all heard great success/happiness stories.

Bassani is not worth the money. don't waste your money on a fad. Just my experience and honest opinion. I spent almost $870 for that bassani setup and gained 33 rwhp on the cobra. I wish I had saved the money and got a vortech instead!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bassani is not worth the money. don't waste your money on a fad. Just my experience and honest opinion. I spent almost $870 for that bassani setup and gained 33 rwhp on the cobra. I wish I had saved the money and got a vortech instead!!!!
Bassani is not worth the money? What?? $870 for a Basanni set up and a gain of 33hp??? is not worth the money...you have got to be kidding

Bassani is well worth the money if your gaining 33hp for $870. lol

Your "experience" shows no "experience":barf:

Honest opinion....LOL

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason I said they are not worth the cost is that you can buy similar parts from magnaflow, dr gas or vrs for less money and get the same results. Not to mention that Bassani is having issues with quality.....cats are sh!!ty.

I know that 33 rwhp for $870 used to be a good deal, but now days there are better, ie cheaper mods to achieve the same results.

Play nice already......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car is a 2002 GT...bone stock...for now.

Thanks for all your replies. Does anyone have any sound clips of just the Bassani catback and stock H?

·
Registered
277 Posts
2 cents from me - I thought it was interesting that Steve at Houston Performance actually recommends the Magnaflow cat-back OVER the Bassani cat-back when he sells both and actually loses money from that suggestion. He could make a good $200 more from the sale of the Bassani, but through his experience evidentally feels that the Magnaflow is as good or better if he recommends it to his customers. Anyway I went with the Magnaflow cat-back, not only beacuse of his suggestion but because I felt it looked nicer, sounded better (heard a few clips) and was several hundred dollars less. And before anyone yells at me, I'm not putting down Bassani. I have a Bassani x-pipe with cats that I think is absolutely great, regardless of the cat-related problems. Take care!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Immortality said:
2 cents from me - I thought it was interesting that Steve at Houston Performance actually recommends the Magnaflow cat-back OVER the Bassani cat-back when he sells both and actually loses money from that suggestion. He could make a good $200 more from the sale of the Bassani, but through his experience evidentally feels that the Magnaflow is as good or better if he recommends it to his customers.
This is an interesting statement. Unless you know exactly what Steve is paying for the comparable pieces from each line (Magnaflow and Bassani) there's no way for you to know which is more profitable for him. If he sells the Bassani cat-back for $530.00 and has $400.00 in it, he makes the sames as if he sells the Magnaflow for $430.00 nad has $300.00 in it. (not necessarily real numbers, just an example) It's conceivable that he's selling the Magnaflow for less gross $ but actually making more net $.
Originally posted by Immortality
Anyway I went with the Magnaflow cat-back, not only beacuse of his suggestion but because I felt it looked nicer, sounded better (heard a few clips) and was several hundred dollars less. And before anyone yells at me, I'm not putting down Bassani. I have a Bassani x-pipe with cats that I think is absolutely great, regardless of the cat-related problems. Take care!
Looked nicer? Wow! I don't see how that's even possible, the Bassani is built like an aircraft carrier! If I were starting from scratch it's entirely likely that I would go all Magnaflow as well, everyone is certainly giving their stuff very high marks. I've been a fan of Bassani ever since I bought my first Bassani piece... an expansion chamber for a 1971 Yamaha 175...lol (yes, I'm really that old) :eek: and was thrilled when I discovered that they made stuff for my 'Stang!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bassani

The Bassani is a quality piece and the long, long chrome tips look great. I installed both pieces on ramps at home no probs. Fit was excellent.

I had the the cat back with the stock H pipe for about a year before I bought the X pipe. Cost around $450 from HP if I recall.
The sound was simple awesome.

When the X pipe was fitted ($417 from HP), the sound did change somewhat. (the nascar comparison is valid). Does it sound better or worse? I dunno. Don't care. It's intimidating as hell and the car just screems at WOT.

I for one love it.

Cheers

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well I just liked the Magnaflow better =) I agree with your statement concerning the profits he makes, but in GENERAL one will make more profit on a more expensive item. I'm not talking a few bucks... I mean a few hundred bucks is significant enough to more or less make that statement true. I mean if you keep the percentage markup constant among similar products, the higher buy price yields a higher sell price, and through more volume will make more profit. Sure if he has a deal and can get the Magnaflow setups for like $100 apiece or something than I can understand what you are saying. But, if that was the case, why wouldn't he sell them for say $299 and not only make 200% profit on each, but basically capture the market away from all other Magnaflow sellers of the catback in the $350-$400 range? I don't know if that makes any sense but it was worth a shot LOL.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
aggie97 said:

dude have you lost your mind?

I was expecting you to come back and say 3.3 not 33 but an honest 33 hp is a butt load.

33hp for $870 is a steal. plus the quality is very nice. I would like to know what you do for more of a gain for less than $870 for a bolt on non NOS part (maybe a non catted pipe and save 200 bucks but you lose the emmisions cert).beside with out that exhust or another good brand (anything but flo-smasher or mac) a blower wont make the power your expecting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Skywalker, keep in mind I had the o/r x and did not car about emissions back then.....now it is something we in texas will have to live with until this new plan fails too.

I think the reason I gained so much power was that my stock H-pipe cats were plugged up or something. I think it was unreal for anyone to see such a gain with just the x and catback. My exhaust used to stink even when the stock cats were on so that is why I think my gain was so great. After that install, I was only seeing 282rwhp which would sound normal.

Anyway, look at the typical gains of an o/r h and catback.....22rwhp? Now figure that is the $850 we talked about before. On the last group purchase, you could get a paxton for my 00GT for $2900. This should net about 120rwhp? So with the s/c, spending less than four times more, you net 6 times the power gain?

I have come to the conclusion not to waste any money on the bolt on mods and just get the s/c. That is the only way I feel I will get the power I want and I really don't think I want a 450rwhp car now. I might later after I get a taste of what I am planning but I have sunk so much money on other cars just to net 40hp and I personally feel it was a waste of money for ME.

Develop your own opinions and please don't flame me for expressing mine......It was only a little flame anyway.

later

·
Registered
99 Posts
aggie97 said:
Anyway, look at the typical gains of an o/r h and catback.....22rwhp? Now figure that is the $850 we talked about before. On the last group purchase, you could get a paxton for my 00GT for $2900. This should net about 120rwhp? So with the s/c, spending less than four times more, you net 6 times the power gain?
If you have the money for a s/c by all means get it. In a dollar per gain ratio-senario (that rhimes):D

Typical gains of 22 rwhp are not typical from a off road h or x pipe.. thats "rear wheel" horsepower right? Typical gains from a off road h or x pipe are about 5 to 10 percent of rated flywheel hp that equals approx 10rwhp which is still a good deal from a bassani set as you first mentioned for $850. I believe your first post stated 33 rwhp gain for $850 ...anyway

Maybe thats all the $$ most folks have to spend. A gain of 22rwhp (rear wheel horsepower) for $850 is a major bar-gain..for a exhaust modification..although I think unlikely...anyway (I like to say anyway)

When I win the lottery I'll get a supercharger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts