Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the time has come i need new ball joints and control arm bushings... i have a few questions..

first would it be a good upgrade to put 03-04 cobra ball joints in instead of factory ones...

also what about urethane bushings compared to factory rubber ones...

i was looking at getting some complete 03-04 cobra arms but for 300 i dont think so...

any insight is appreciated

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i was looking at getting some complete 03-04 cobra arms but for 300 i dont think so...

any insight is appreciated
I think, by the time you spend the money on the parts and labor to get the balljoint pressed in and the bushings installed, you'll have paid for a set of brand-new control arms.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think, by the time you spend the money on the parts and labor to get the balljoint pressed in and the bushings installed, you'll have paid for a set of brand-new control arms.
no i have all the tools necessary to change it all out....

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I just did a Control Arm refurb. So far so good with the Urethane bushings. I did this for considerably less than the cost of new stock A-arms. I didn't want to get Aftermarket A-arms until I got a K-member but was doing a 5-lug swap and the stock stuff was worn out.

Anyway this may help.

For the ball joints I used a BFH to get them out and a hydraulic press to get them in. The issue is the A-arm metal is so thin the effort to get them in and out stretches out the hole. The replacement ones are over sized to compensate for it. You will most likely be able to replace them only once. If they replacements are too small a couple of tack welds will hold the ball joint in.

For the bushings get replacement bushings without the metal shells on the outside. Then heat the hell out of the bushing till they start to sizzle then knock out the rubber part of the bushing out with a hammer leaving the metal shells in the A-arm. Clean out the old rubber and use a c-clamp to install the new bushings in the shells. BTW the rubber turns to liquid and can make a mess when it pops out. You may or may not be able to get the metal shells out if you choose to do it that way. The metal is so thin you tend to crush/misalign the A-arm when try to get teh metal shell out.

Remember Ford considers the entire Control Arm to be the lowest replaceable part so they didn't design it to be serviced easily.

Also a word of warning. The A-arm bolts cane be a bitch to get depending on how rusty they are. They seize to the inner metal sleeve in the bushing and you end up cutting them out. The stupid bolts are expensive, frustrating, and hard to come by if you didn't plan ahead.

Before

After

(These are 94/95 ball joints since I was in the middle of a 5-lug swap here)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks... i work at autozone and we rent a tool that takes the ball joint out and reinstalls them... pretty easily... i found a set of urethane bushings so i think im set... i got a killer deal on a tubular k member but not enough moneys for the arms and coilovers so i just reused the factory arms but now its time to r&r the arms... looking at about 100 bucks for the parts and a few hours labor... beats the hell out of 300 for new arms...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ahhh yes, the domino effect. So wonderfull.... ;)
Which is why I'm collecting parts for the MM K-member, A-arms, coilovers, 03/03 cobra steering rack, etc etc the list goes on and on for the front end of the Fox car upgrades! :eek:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no the cobra arms will accept conventional springs, but are expensive... i put a set on a buddys car, but cannot justify the cost when i can just build mine... my question was just concerning the ball joints...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
For the price of the 03/04 arms you can damn near by the MM arms
Which, I believe, do not have a spring seat, and thus require coilovers. So if you have conventional springs, they are not a solution.
no the cobra arms will accept conventional springs, but are expensive... i put a set on a buddys car, but cannot justify the cost when i can just build mine... my question was just concerning the ball joints...
He didn't say the Cobra arms didn't. :confused:

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
1,020 Posts
The factory '03 cobra balljoint was probably made with a newer improved specifications for the internal materials, as supplied by for int he original equipment parts. But on the outside the dimensions are the same, so they are interchangable as far as service parts go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts