1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
726 Posts
You should call Baer and ask. I'll bet this is a situation where they will clear with some 17" wheels but not others. There are some factory and Ford Motorsport 18" wheels that will clear the 13/14 GT500 15" six piston Brembos but others will not.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final question. Would either of these two calipers direct swap in a typical m2300-k setup with 1" bore 1993 Cobra MC and booster?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
According to my data, they have 41.0mm, 35.0mm and 31.0mm pistons. This is 19 to 34% more piston area than either of the Mustang Cobra front calipers. The Baers won't work as a drop fit with either the m/c or the rear brake setup. They are designed for the matching SS4, or 6R rear caliper which has smaller pistons.

The Wilwood SL6/SL6R front caliper is a drop fit for the m/c and rear brake system in your car.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to my data, they have 41.0mm, 35.0mm and 31.0mm pistons. This is 19 to 34% more piston area than either of the Mustang Cobra front calipers. The Baers won't work as a drop fit with either the m/c or the rear brake setup. They are designed for the matching SS4, or 6R rear caliper which has smaller pistons.

The Wilwood SL6/SL6R front caliper is a drop fit for the m/c and rear brake system in your car.

Darn. I had a feeling it would be slightly off. I'm actually running the C5 PBR's which are 40.5mm pistons, so i guess this is a 19% increase in piston area if i went to these.

I kinda want to retain the stock rear setup for the parking brake as i need it for inspection purposes and practical reasons. This is strictly a street cruiser. So if adding the rears is absolutely necessary, i guess i'll rule this out due to snowballing costs and keep what i have. I like the Wilwoods too, but would need to see if they clear the 17x8 SN95 wheels i have.

Hypothetically speaking though, could i swap to the 1 1/16" bore MC of the 94-95 GT which is 13% increase over the 1" cobra MC?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You realize you can't get enough tire on that 8in wide rim to actually utilize a bigger brake than what you're using right? Hell, I campaign a road race 96 GT and used the cobra "PBRs" for 3 years without issue. Finally switched to a big Stoptech kit and couldn't stop the car any faster than before (but did require a pad switch too)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You realize you can't get enough tire on that 8in wide rim to actually utilize a bigger brake than what you're using right? Hell, I campaign a road race 96 GT and used the cobra "PBRs" for 3 years without issue. Finally switched to a big Stoptech kit and couldn't stop the car any faster than before (but did require a pad switch too)
I'm glad I found this info. I was ready to list my Bullitt PBRs for sale and get the Baer T4 front brakes.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up squashing this plan as well for that same reason

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

This.

I was going to say ive been using 18x10 wheels with 275s NT01s just the 03/04 cobra brakes up front, and a hawk HP Plus pad. Im still not at the braking limit, car has plenty of brake i need more tire. So i always wonder when i see dudes with 6 piston 5,000 dollar brakes on some thin/#### tire. Im guessing the fancy brakes take heat/cooling better than the PBR/cobra stuff?

My next upgrade if i go this route it use the C5 zo6 calipers.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Stiffer calipers and/or larger rotors, make the system more linear. This makes it possible for the driver to hold the brakes on the edge of lockup more closely. That can reduce stopping distances some, especially in nonABS applications.

Stiffer calipers also taper the brake pads much less. The more tapered the pads are, the spongier the brakes get as they wear.

PBR calipers are the least stiff calipers available, but they are very inexpensive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This.

I was going to say ive been using 18x10 wheels with 275s NT01s just the 03/04 cobra brakes up front, and a hawk HP Plus pad. Im still not at the braking limit, car has plenty of brake i need more tire. So i always wonder when i see dudes with 6 piston 5,000 dollar brakes on some thin/#### tire. Im guessing the fancy brakes take heat/cooling better than the PBR/cobra stuff?

My next upgrade if i go this route it use the C5 zo6 calipers.
If you go that route....I think I have a set in the parts boxes I got when I bought my car. Pick a reasonable price they sell for and offer me 75% of that! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts