Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the Baer 13" rear rotor upgrade is not for Cobras. I assume this is because the Cobra has a different caliper bracket. Does anyone know if its possible (or perhaps easy is the real question) to switch to a GT caliper bracket.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Yes, you just need the axle bracket (and possibly anti-moans) off a GT. Just like doing the Cobra upgrade, in reverse. Do you have 14" front brakes?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've read that the Baer 13" rear rotor upgrade is not for Cobras. I assume this is because the Cobra has a different caliper bracket. Does anyone know if its possible (or perhaps easy is the real question) to switch to a GT caliper bracket.
Thanks
Sure seems like a lot of effort to go from a 11.65" rotor to a 13" rear rotor. There are tons of AI cars with stock rear Cobra brakes that have never had a problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have 14" front brakes?
Got Brakeman racing brakes in the front. I have DTC70 pads on the rear now and I feel like the fronts lock up WAY before the rears. I'm thinking the additonal mechanical advantage would help balance out the system. Then maybe I can use a less agressive pad.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just looked them up on Baer's website and it seems to work like the Roush 13" rear kits. They might be the exact same thing. The rotors also appear to be vented, but it could be a generic picture. My concerns would be the availability of replacement rotors, are they vented, and if they are available plain.

Yes you would need to get the GT axle brackets along with the GT anti moan brackets. If you find out anymore, please do let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The Baer/Steeda/Roush 13" rotor w/dogbone bracket is a thin/non-vented rotor. It has been discussed here numerous times with the conclusion that the thicker, vented although shorter Cobra rotor is the way to go, especially on a track car that will build up a lot of heat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What has been discussed countless times is solid vs vented rotors. You are wrong about the Roush 13" rear kit. These rotors are vented. I have no real knowledge about Baer.

There is a saying that says, "Complacency is the enemy of progress". There isn't just one solution for everything. Btwog is looking for a solution for his unique setup. Apparently Roush felt a need for an upgrade and I have seen a testimonial from someone using the complete Roush kit and they were very happy with their performance on an open track.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Roush's thinking is, "Build it and they will buy it". Maybe use a lower temp rear pad or a higher temp front pad. Have you turned off the ABS? Why do you think the front trying to lock up first?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Got Brakeman racing brakes in the front. I have DTC70 pads on the rear now and I feel like the fronts lock up WAY before the rears. I'm thinking the additonal mechanical advantage would help balance out the system. Then maybe I can use a less agressive pad.
Adjustable prop valve?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great point about the vented rotors. Never occurred to me they wouldnt be vented.

I did confirm that the Baer's are NOT vented and just checked on the car and the stock Cobra rotors are vented.

ABS was out for several events. Rears never locked, even going into 10A at Road Atlanta which is steep downhill.

All this has me thinking the proportioning valve option may be best.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does the car have a T/A? That will make a difference. I would try a more aggressive rear pad or one with a lower temp range. You want the front to lock up before the rear.

For a while I was having problems overheating my front brakes. I had never had issues before and could not figure out why all of a sudden I was boiling brake fluid. Then I realized that I had changed my rear pads and they were not gripping near enough which caused my fronts to do almost all the braking and overheat.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car has full MM suspension (including TA).

DTC70 is about as agressive (high coefficient of friction) a pad as they make AFAIK. Thats why I'm looking at the other options.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I hadn't looked into this much beyond the surface but the 13" Baer upgrade is more for looks over function. If the the Roush setup still utilizes GT rear calipers, you aren't doing much for the rear except increasing rotor size which will help with heat issues, right. I haven't read of many people overheating the rear brakes unless they leave TC on. The 13" Baer kit uses non vented rotors so it would be a downgrade over the vented Cobras.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, the Roush kit does reuse the stock GT brake components. The larger rotor probably doesn't increase thermal capacity by that much. But since the calipers now have more mechanical leverage, they have to work less to perform the same amount of work, and it can potentially help with overheating brakes. I say potentially because if the brakes allow you to go deeper into a corner, they will still get just as hot. Brake ducting would then be needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts