Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds typical. I have a 98 car myself and I'm experiencing some heavy load breakdown. I have a set of livewires on the way. I've heard good things about them. I'll let you know how they do in a few days.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98PONYEXCESS said:
Sounds typical. I have a 98 car myself and I'm experiencing some heavy load breakdown. I have a set of livewires on the way. I've heard good things about them. I'll let you know how they do in a few days.

are you sure the wires are causing that?

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can try listening to the car at idle. If you hear a miss it may be a bad plug wire. I actually had a bad coil, replaced all of it with screamin demon coil packs and live wires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, I'm positive that mine is the wires. Unfortunatley the way the 2V boots are made, they will only seal the spark plug well if they go on a certain way. A little twisted to the side and you have moisture buildup. I would highly advise that when you take them off that you thoroughly clean the boots inside and out and use a liberal amount of dielectric grease, paying special attention to the sealing ridges near the top of the boot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yup bad wires will make it run funny. I just had a set of MSD 8.5s go bad on me. They were only 8 months old so I was positive it wasnt them. I took it to Ford after changing plugs didnt do anything for a diagnostic. They told me it had an intermittent miss on one cylinder (duh). They also said it was # 2. I tried an old stock plug wire and it fixxed it up. I have Motorsports wires ordered from Steve at Houston Performance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get a multimeter and test:

1) Continuity (mechanical integrity) - move the wires around and if you get a continuity (short), replace it

2) Excess resistance - wires are rated in ohms per foot, usually in the 1000 ohm range for suppression wires

This is the best way to truly test them - toer than that, most of the claims for wires are baloney - if they conduct enough juice to jump the gap, thicker wires, fancy names, etc will not enhance perf at all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts