Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this question by stating that I have very little knowledge of cam specs and what is 'good' for a particular combo. So I am sorry if this is a retarded question. My current combo consists of a Lunati 51025 cam. The specs are .535/.544, 224/232, and 112LSA. Is this a horrible cam for turbo, or will it be okay?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
It will probably be fine.

As rule of thumb you want high LSA on a turbo cam like 115 instead of 110-112.
This help with valve overlap, since you dont want
"exhaust scavanging" like an N/A engine.

On N/A engine low LSA and lots of valve overlap lets the exhaust
flow "suck" extra air out of and into the chamber, but on a turbo
engine you can have enough pre-turbo back pressure build up
that it will actually push exhaust back in.

As long as turbo is properly sized and moderate psi used, it should
be fine though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but this thread feels like the perfect opportunity to ask a question about turbo cams...

I hate to be throwing around cam specs etc myself, but I ran across this cam while browsing around one day.

http://www.lunaticamshafts.com/Product.aspx?id=1666&gid=282

How well would this cam work with a single turbo 351W (fuelie) setup with a stick (5 or 6 speed)....total street car...
Of course responsiveness and streetability are of concern.

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, any suggestions on where to learn more?

I suppose I can always give the cam a whirl, and if it runs horribly then I can just swap it out. I am sure that a turbo specific custom grind is best (aren't they always ... ), but I am not yet sure what my final combo will end up being and I didn't want to invest in a cam grind if I am going to be porting my heads or changing displacement in the end. So thanks for letting me know that it should atleast be 'okay,' if not optimal. I didn't know if the duration/lift was too large or anything. It is a really aggressive cam N/A, I still have stock pistons and I've been told that it shouldn't even work with them.

Out of curiosity can anyone recommend some reading material for developing my knowledge of cam grinds and their intended uses? I've done some searching on here, but I am looking more for a good article or website with tech info. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts